Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zenwalk Continues Banging The BFS Scheduler

Phoronix: Zenwalk Continues Banging The BFS Scheduler

Zenwalk 7.2 was released last week as the latest release of the interesting Slackware-based distribution. This latest Zenwalk release continues to patch its Linux kernel to drop in the BFS scheduler for providing better interactivity on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Okay, I know Phoronix headlines aren't supposed to be some kind of pinnacle of literary achievement, but that one is just bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      Okay, I know Phoronix headlines aren't supposed to be some kind of pinnacle of literary achievement, but that one is just bad.
      It is a shame that it was not called the drum scheduler. Then the headline would have made sense.

Comment

It would also be nice, with some journalistic work, highlighting what optimizations are done, compared to other distros.

Comment

"The patches are actively maintained and updated"

No they are not.

I was hitting a bug in BFS on my Lenovo T60 (yes I'm 1000% sure, so is Con).
          Got on IRC to talk to Con and he told me that he has no time to debug it, since it wouldn't be easy because he doesn't have a T60.
          This is fine with me, just don't call BFS actively maintained, it's just updated.

Comment

Originally posted by enteon View Post
            "The patches are actively maintained and updated"

No they are not.

I was hitting a bug in BFS on my Lenovo T60 (yes I'm 1000% sure, so is Con).
            Got on IRC to talk to Con and he told me that he has no time to debug it, since it wouldn't be easy because he doesn't have a T60.
            This is fine with me, just don't call BFS actively maintained, it's just updated.
            Well, most projects are like that. I report a bug somewhere (say, KDE), they say "sorry, can't reproduce and don't have your system" and nothing happens.

Nothing new to see here. Most open source software works like that. They don't actually work towards debugging the problem. They're not getting paid, so no surprise there.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Well, most projects are like that. I report a bug somewhere (say, KDE), they say "sorry, can't reproduce and don't have your system" and nothing happens.

Nothing new to see here. Most open source software works like that. They don't actually work towards debugging the problem. They're not getting paid, so no surprise there.
              That's how closed source software works too: you can't debug hardware-related problems without having access to the hardware. In some cases having remote access (ssh access & maybe serial console over IP & remote power switch ) to the hardware can be enough to debug them, otherwise the developer will need it at his/her workplace.

If there are similar problems with hardware & Windows, and the manufacturer can't fix it itself, in many cases the manufacturer will provide Microsoft with the problematic device... (if it's new enough that they still care about it).

Comment

Working...
              X