Ubuntu To Consider Ridding GNOME Fallback Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    DO NOT drop fallback mode, AT LEAST until all GPU's on ALL systems actually are able to run the GL-junk.
    LMAO. It will never happen. Canonical used to cater more to older systems, but they axed Unity2D and they don't even support non-PAE hardware anymore (unless you run L/Xubuntu).

Just because it CAN run on llvmpipe does NOT mean that it SHOULD. llvmpipe is SEVERE and UNWARRANTED overhead on systems that are already barely able to keep up.
    Canonical has limited resources, and they want to support common code paths. Basically, if you have old junk like a VIA IGP, run a lighter desktop, because Canonical doesn't want to hold Unity back trying to support your niche hardware (especially when upstream Gnome is looking to kill fallback mode too).

BTW, random CAPS is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. You can make a point WITHOUT CAPITALIZING every other FUCKING WORD.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
      I can't speak for everybody else ...
      I'm quite happy to use Gnome Shell, but I also require something like a taskbar in order to productively manage having many windows open of the same type (eg browsers, terminals, editors), dual (large) screen support and have various things always visible (eg system monitors, notifications of IMs).

The Gnome 2 worked wonderfully well at that. The Gnome 3 fallback mode is passable although the issues that are present are hard to assign blame - it could be Ubuntu at fault (eg see what they did with account managers).

I keep trying to use Gnome Shell and the various panels/taskbars, system monitors etc but they all fail very quickly in the usability department.

Comment

Please do not drop GNOME Fallback

I find Unity and gnome-shell to be utterly unusable for me.

I like GNOME Fallback and think it is great.
        Please do not remove GNOME Fallback.

Instead continue maintaining it.
        Fallback is very user-friendly and nice. It is not confusing like Unity or gnome-shell.

Comment

mate..

char limit

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            mate..

char limit
            MATE doesn't seem viable.
            It will doom you to legacy.
            It is just maintaining the old legacy GNOME 2 with bugfixes.

I rather have GNOME 3 with gnome-fallback.

Comment

As an aside, it's quite shocking to see the fragmentation in the GNOME camp. You have GNOME3, Unity (it's a gnome desktop with a different shell), Mate, Cinnamon, and some people still run the old GNOME2 version. And there is quite a mess in terms of which GTK version is used, with many non-GNOME apps still relying on GTK2.

In KDE, there is only KDE4 and Trinity, and the latter is marginal.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                MATE doesn't seem viable.
                It will doom you to legacy.
                It is just maintaining the old legacy GNOME 2 with bugfixes.

I rather have GNOME 3 with gnome-fallback.
                IIRC they are moving in the necessary bits of GTK to keep pace with GTK, but they will keep the UI the same forever, which is what so many people wanted in the first place.

So I like many others will stick with Mate for the foreseeable future.

We shouldn't be fixing what isn't broken just so we can chase the trend, take Windows Vista/7/8 as an example of a GUI gone wrong and getting progressively worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  IIRC they are moving in the necessary bits of GTK to keep pace with GTK, but they will keep the UI the same forever, which is what so many people wanted in the first place.

So I like many others will stick with Mate for the foreseeable future.

We shouldn't be fixing what isn't broken just so we can chase the trend, take Windows Vista/7/8 as an example of a GUI gone wrong and getting progressively worse.
                  Cool, I guess then maybe it could be nice.
                  MATE with GTK 3 would be nice.

But it would be a lot of code duplication of doing lots of stuff upstreams in GNOME 3. The code bases diverse so much that they probably cant backport anymore.

But I think GNOME 3 with GNOME Fallback Session is pretty good, its like a classic GNOME 2 desktop almost. However Cheese, gcalc and some apps get retarded menus.
                  Unfortunately I heard they might discontinue GNOME Fallback Session.

Comment

Working...
                  X