No announcement yet.

GPU Driver Updates To Come Quicker To Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big deal was that Canonical supported ONE binary driver per Ubuntu release. With "-update" its a bit better but only for binary blobs. (However it never worked on my AMD 5720M so I used ADM website to fetch newest).

Now what we get are EXPERIMENTAL drivers (not certified in MS-speak), via Canonical **supported** update mechanism.

That is even better as now MESA stuff will see same level of attention (for Intel at least).

So everything will be doable from Ubuntu Software Center. And since you can always tap into updating mechanism on Linux, it mean that games may actually update gpu drivers when needed!

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
      The big deal was that Canonical supported ONE binary driver per Ubuntu release. With "-update" its a bit better but only for binary blobs. (However it never worked on my AMD 5720M so I used ADM website to fetch newest).

Now what we get are EXPERIMENTAL drivers (not certified in MS-speak), via Canonical **supported** update mechanism.

That is even better as now MESA stuff will see same level of attention (for Intel at least).

So everything will be doable from Ubuntu Software Center. And since you can always tap into updating mechanism on Linux, it mean that games may actually update gpu drivers when needed!
      That's not a big deal, that's simply catching up with openSUSE, sprinkled with the usual Ubuntu hype. As if driver updates via the driver repo were something special?

Comment

dont get me wrong I dont think thats a very important thing that happens here, its a small change, I am not totaly against it, go with it if you are happy.

But its a bit strange that linux must have BETTER closedsource-driver-update-support than windows has. So if you dont use linux because of the idiolegy (freedom) behind it, why would you be pissed because driver installation is the same process it is under windows?

So at least its no feature that you could say, w?hh look here linux sucks and windows is better, because its not. So the thing they do is to generate a reason why linux is better than windows, for people who use linux only for the technical advancement, but than again why would you not use windows because it supports much more games. So canonical do that maybe to support a time in some years where maybe not only a few valve games come over steam to linux but where many nvidia users switch to linux and games become availible too.

I see that mixed, they make a eco system, that will fully support closedsource drivers, so this companys will never release sourcecode or specs. What would make more sense would be to pay 2-20 grafics-developers instead of this to make the radeon driver fast enough to be ready for newer games (they dont need to have 100% of the speed of the blobs) if they are at 50-80% it would be fast enough. And more importantly they should support all opengl stuff in the first place.

So I am not extremely pissed or something, but on the other side, I think they invest again in the wrong direction, if fedora would become the same quality of ubuntu (I mean with easy system upgrades without reinstall (the recommand way)). And support the same usb-sound-devices that ubuntu does support with an older kernel, I would switch away. Not because of that driver thing here, that was other points that let the barrel overun for me. Is that a saying that americans understand? ^^

Comment

This is a step forward........... as long as they make sure that driver updates does not cause stuff to break. In my experience, whenever I update my video drivers (even as part of the package manager), stuff like xorg tends to break horribly, and sometimes the desktop effects stop working as well as they did before.

I think it's because newer versions of video drivers tend to expect newer versions of xorg sometimes, or sometimes xorg only supports certain versions of video drivers.

Of course, I expect this to be much less of an issue with opensource drivers.

Comment

Considering my experience with gpu driver on ubuntu and windows, if the driver works, I stick with it. I mean stick with it for YEARS past when its been replaced by a new stable.

For people whom need the newer version becuase they are missing support or a feature the explosion of linux games requires, this sounds like a good idea for those in need. I like it, good job working with Valve, Ubuntu! This will improve many users experiences with gpu drivers.

Comment

Does this mean that people might finally start listening?

To talks like this:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Audio is here:
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia is delivering what their users need, and ubuntu is now finally realizing it. When will certain developers of open source graphics understand this too?

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
                This is a step forward........... as long as they make sure that driver updates does not cause stuff to break.
                I guess bugs is should be expected from packages with name that include "experimental" word.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Considering my experience with gpu driver on ubuntu and windows, if the driver works, I stick with it. I mean stick with it for YEARS past when its been replaced by a new stable.

For people whom need the newer version becuase they are missing support or a feature the explosion of linux games requires, this sounds like a good idea for those in need. I like it, good job working with Valve, Ubuntu! This will improve many users experiences with gpu drivers.
                  thats one of the problems with closed source drivers. People tend to blame opensource developers for not supporting a closed source driver, while thats just impossible.... thats the problem people say linux is bad because the driver support is bad... nobody from hell would say, windows is bad because the driver xy is bad, then anybody would say this company which produced this crap hardware or driver is crap.

So the reasonable point when installing a driver from nvidia and something goes wrong would be, ok nvidia sucks like hell, never ever will I buy from this c%%%ckscuckers any hardware... but yes linux is the wonderland from alice where reality is the oposite from itself...

Comment

Working...
                  X