Arch Linux Moves Forward With Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Sigh. What distro is there for the "change for the *worse* is bad" folks?
    Of course, Gentoo.

You can use Gentoo in any combination you like: w/wo systemd, w/wo pulseaudio, w/wo networkmanager. For example on my laptop I find networkmanager useful so I use it, my desktops however don't use it.

Comment

Today

Originally posted by Leon55ia View Post
      This will change in the near future, but they're not quite ready to recommend it for all new installs yet.
      Today they've switch to making it default in new installs.

Comment

I guess me and the arch's wiki are not up to date

Comment

Originally posted by Dan555a View Post
          I guess me and the arch's wiki are not up to date
          You won't be forced over unless you use software which ends up requiring systemd. The wiki is usually out of date until people get around to updating it, but what part did you mean specifically?

Anyway the news post is on the front page: http://www.archlinux.org/news/system...installations/

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
            You won't be forced over unless you use software which ends up requiring systemd. The wiki is usually out of date until people get around to updating it, but what part did you mean specifically?

Anyway the news post is on the front page: http://www.archlinux.org/news/system...installations/
            I personally have no problem with systemd as from what I've read it is a clear improvement compared to the existing solutions and although I haven't switched yet I will do so shortly, Arch officially switching to it thus makes perfect sense to me. That said I'm not to keen on systemd more or less integrating udev which I have read is what is happening, as I'm a firm believer of flexibility and 'survival of the fittest'.

I think systemd is currently the best init system but chances are someone else will come up with something even better if there are good conditions for experimentation and having such core functionality like udev more or less incorporated into systemd means it will be at the very least harder for alternatives to emerge, not to mention making it harder for already available alternatives.

Comment

Working...
            X