Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz Being Re-Retired From Fedora

Phoronix: Compiz Being Re-Retired From Fedora

Compiz was already being dropped from Fedora as there was no package maintainer at the beginning of the year for this OpenGL compositing window system on Fedora and there was not much interest from Fedora users. Compiz is needed for the Unity desktop on Fedora, among other potential use-cases, but now it's being retired once again...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Compiz needs to die already.

Maybe Unity will be usable if Canonical ports it to Mutter or Muffin.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      Compiz needs to die already.

Maybe Unity will be usable if Canonical ports it to Mutter or Muffin.
      Compiz without unity run relatively well. I'm using it with xfce and it does his job (on mageia).

Comment

Compiz was NEVER stable for me.

Not even in gnome2 on Ubuntu 10.04. It always freaked out on me. I was so relieved at the stability of Mutter/Muffin. It's a real shame that Unity is built on Compiz. Hopefully it's not too late...

Comment

Compiz started as an experimental hack to X

And every year they just added more and more hacks. It does need to die, and soon.

Comment

Originally posted by tancrackers View Post
            Not even in gnome2 on Ubuntu 10.04. It always freaked out on me. I was so relieved at the stability of Mutter/Muffin. It's a real shame that Unity is built on Compiz. Hopefully it's not too late...
            Agreed. My laptop has fairly standard hardware (intel ironlake graphics). Now this certainly isn't the newest, and not very powerful, but its really not that old either.

Gnome-shell and mutter run super smooth on it. Since kde 4.8/4.9 Kwin, even with all the bling/blur effects runs super smooth.

The latest versions of compiz and unity are very slow and laggy in comparison.

Comment

I do miss the days when Compiz was relevant for the wow factor of a 3D desktop.

But today's Compiz is a far cry from the Beryl/Fusion days.

Comment

Thank god, no more wobbly windows.

I don't see what's wrong with xcompmgr for basic compositing, it's done me fine for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Jamie View Post
                  Thank god, no more wobbly windows.

I don't see what's wrong with xcompmgr for basic compositing, it's done me fine for years.
                  It uses xrender, so it cant vsync, which makes it useless for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                    It uses xrender, so it cant vsync, which makes it useless for me.
                    Ah, I was not aware of that.

Out of interest, what do you need vsync for?

My main use is transparent terminals (and not making YouTube slow) which it's been great for.

Comment

Working...
                    X