Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 12.3 Now At Milestone 0

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 12.3 Now At Milestone 0

The openSUSE distribution has released milestone zero of their next major release, openSUSE 12.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Why would anyone use opensuse when there are many more popular alternatives?
    Why would you pick your distribution based on its popularity?

Comment

Maybe it fits their needs better than the alternatives? By your logic there would only be one Linux distro and everyone would use that.

Comment

openSUSE and its users exist solely to annoy you. I know because I am one.

Comment

So you advocate that everyone should just use Ubuntu? That seems stupid. The different distros are out there so that people can choose the one the like best.

Comment

i personally love debian. it has the best repo, and is more reliable than the 6 month alpha crap.

Comment

Basically I was asking why should a user choose this distro. What are the advantages over others?
              Well, i think it's basically known as the best user-friendly distro that focuses on KDE. It's main competition would be Kubuntu, or maybe Fedora, and I think there are plenty of reasons people might pick it over those 2.

1 thing it does differently than just about any other distro is release on a 9-month schedule instead of the usual 6. Some people might like that - or dislike it.

Comment

Basically I was asking why should a user choose this distro. What are the advantages over others?
                Well let's make a list shall we?
                • Zypper
                • Open Build Service
                • High Quality KDE Implementation
                • YaST
                • Friendly, knowledgeable, and uncensored community forums
                • openFATE
                • It feels Professional and Polished
                • Flexibility to turn it into whatever you want in a safe manner via the OBS and Zypper/YaST because of the vendor concept in LibZypp
                • Has a Normal Release which is officially supported for 2 versions and then is community supported for 3 years as an Evergreen, also there's Tumbleweed if you want a rolling release.
                • It's a very collaborative distro + community

The only real mark against it is that the packagekit backend is far from complete, but hopefully 12.3 will fix that with Appstream and the project bretzn stuff finally materializing.

Comment

I basically use it for 2 reasons. First, it has a really good KDE implementation, treating KDE users as first-class citizens rather than afterthoughts. Second, the open build service makes it really easy for me to get the packages I need available from the repos, while allowing others to help out as well. If there is something that isn't there but I want I can add it, but others can and do step up and help maintain it if they use it to.

Comment

Working...
                  X