Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2 Arrives

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2 Arrives

The second beta release for the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" Linux distribution is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comes with a snapshot of Compiz 0.9.8.4. Still on track to sort out most of the major performance issues for the final release.

Comment

Amazon shopping lens sucks!
      It is annoying and it is adware!

GNOME is messing up its application (Calculator, Cheese, etc) by removing the menus from the menubar and shoving them all together into one menu.

Comment

A Xserver 1.13 supporting AMD Catalyst driver (based on fglrx 9.00) will be avaible as an Ubuntu 12.10 update within the next few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          A Xserver 1.13 supporting AMD Catalyst driver (based on fglrx 9.00) will be avaible as an Ubuntu 12.10 update within the next few hours.
          I've been waiting too damn long for that.

Comment

it always was a glorified debian theme pack, which in turn is a glorified gnome distro with a nice package management system. i rather have outdated packages than 5000 breakages every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Been using 12.10 for the past 2 months. It's shaping up to a nice release. In fact I consider the beta 1 better than 12.04. Don't know 12.04 seemed sloppy and didn't really added anything. It also wasn't that stable (theoretically LTS are tested better I heard) as it should have been.
              Agreed. Wiping 12.04 and replacing it with 12.10 was the only way I could rid myself of the dreaded LP bug 993187.

Comment

Compatible with Optimus?

I hope the new version is compatible with Nvidia Optimus. I want to be able to use my Graphics card now that Steam is going to be compatible with Linux. Most of my games run like crap on the integrated Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by greg4662 View Post
                  I hope the new version is compatible with Nvidia Optimus. I want to be able to use my Graphics card now that Steam is going to be compatible with Linux. Most of my games run like crap on the integrated Intel graphics.
                  Well, I tried 304.somethingsomething a few days ago on my T520 running Quantal with a Quadro 4200M. It would boot fine, but X couldn't figure out how to load the binary driver and fell back to VESA. This happened regardless of whether I configured the firmware for Optimus or discrete.

Comment

Well, I'm glad for you guys, but my experience with 12.10 wasn't that smooth:
                    I just installed 12.10 beta 2, and updated all the packages. I was hoping that multi-monitor support will get better, but I was in for a big surprise: not that it isn't better, it's worse than it was in 12.04. I have a i5 machine with 8GB ram, AMD 7950 graphic card, an Dell 24" monitor and Acer projector. After the installation on HD (I used open source driver), my system was configured in mirror mode, with 1024x768 resolution (Screen01; 1400x1050 was just chosen, not applied, it was changed...

And until multi-monitor support gets better, there will be no 12.10 for me...

Comment

Working...
                    X