Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabayon 10 Pulls In MATE Desktop, Hardens The Server

Phoronix: Sabayon 10 Pulls In MATE Desktop, Hardens The Server

The Gentoo-based Sabayon desktop has made the GNOME2-based MATE desktop available to its users, hardened its kernel server support, provides support for running in the Amazon EC2 cloud, and numerous other features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is mate running on gtk 2 or gtk3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by disgrace View Post
      is mate running on gtk 2 or gtk3 ?
      GTK+ 2 of course. Even if it will be ported at some point it's still far away.

Comment

Sabayon deserves Kudos

Sabayon has come a long way since I tried switching to it from XP in 2010 and two updates that killed my desktop almost made me go to Windows 7 instead (OpenSUSE kept me in Linux). It's a lot more stable and as this article shows, they have done a lot of innovating over the last two years. Sabayon, as small as it is, can take a place of pride among the distros that truly innovate and aren't just a layer of paint on top of another distro. They should be proud of themselves.

Comment

It's a nice distro. Just a shame they pulled the plug on the AMD legacy driver for Radeon cards 2xxx-4xxx. The FOSS radeon kernel driver sends my laptop into thermal meltdown sadly... At least with my Gentoo install I can still use versions prior to 12.6 of Catalyst. Same with ARCH and Chakra - both have explicit support for the AMD legacy GPU driver. It's always a pain when rolling distributions break stuff permanently...

Comment

bobwya,
            AMD Catalyst 12.6 Legacy drivers will be reintroduced shortly.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by lxnay View Post
              bobwya,
              AMD Catalyst 12.6 Legacy drivers will be reintroduced shortly.

Regards
              Oh thanks lxnay,

I do quite like Sabayon. But currently hang out mostly in my Gentoo install
              Sadly will probably need the AMD proprietary drivers for a few more years...

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post
                Sabayon has come a long way since I tried switching to it from XP in 2010 and two updates that killed my desktop almost made me go to Windows 7 instead (OpenSUSE kept me in Linux). It's a lot more stable and as this article shows, they have done a lot of innovating over the last two years. Sabayon, as small as it is, can take a place of pride among the distros that truly innovate and aren't just a layer of paint on top of another distro. They should be proud of themselves.
                The two distributions pursue different goals, but they collaborate more closely than you would think. The press release mentions multiple Gentoo developers that explicitly contributed to improvements in Sabayon 10. In addition, lxnay is both a Gentoo developer and a Sabayon developer. The Sabayon developers do some incredible things, but neither distribution would be what it is today without the other.

Comment

Working...
                X