Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 12.2 Released With New Features

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 12.2 Released With New Features

As expected, openSUSE 12.2 was released today as the latest major community distribution release out of the SUSE camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL

KDE 4.8 is already dead by now. Why are they releasing dead software?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      KDE 4.9 is not a stable release. If people want to try out 4.9, they can just use the KDE:UNSTABLE packages from OBS.

Comment

Dead?? Already??

Comment

There is this thing called "stability". You might have heard of it. There is also this other thing, called an "optional KDE 4.9 repository".

Comment

I put 12.2 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago when putting in a ssd. Its a nice gnome 3.4 desktop. I like the pretty boot splash and the grub theme... What else an be said? It's opensuse. Everything worked.

Comment

Because:
              1. KDE SC 4.9 was released too close to the planned release date of openSUSE 12.2. By the time the release date was changed it was too late in the release cycle to switch to a different KDE version

2. Because x.x.0 released tend to have more regressions than x.x.4 or x.x.5 releases.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                Because:
                1. KDE SC 4.9 was released too close to the planned release date of openSUSE 12.2. By the time the release date was changed it was too late in the release cycle to switch to a different KDE version

2. Because x.x.0 released tend to have more regressions than x.x.4 or x.x.5 releases.
                Yeah. Too dead or too unstable. Pick your poison Was openSUSE 12.2 worth the wait? I think not.

Comment

Yeah. Too dead or too unstable. Pick your poison Was openSUSE 12.2 worth the wait? I think not.
                  OpenSUSE 12.1 users were on KDE 4.7.2. Now with 12.2 they're on 4.8.4. That's an improvement... so what's the problem? Anyone who wants to risk stability can install the latest... anything... from Open Build Service or use Tumbleweed stable rolling. It's a distro that lets you do it your way.

Best installer of any OS in existence, YaST, all desktops supported, Open Build Service, one-click install, SUSE Studio, optional rolling Tumbleweed, most powerful modern package manager (zypper with SAT solver, zsync, etc.) plus the advantages of an intelligent forum, being a democracy, not being corporate-controlled, contributing upstream, giving back to the community, a leader in seeking cross-distro collaboration... it's not only a distro you can use feeling secure you've chosen the crown gem of Linux desktop distros, but you can also feel good about using it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                    Dead?? Already??
                    Don't listen to the troll. 4.8.5 was released *after* 4.9.0. openSUSE will get a 4.8.5 update any day now ? due deadlines for the generation of master images or so 4.8.4 had to be included initially.
                    Other than that even old branches are never closed for bugfixes. Additional fixes have already been ported to 4.8.x even after the 4.8.5 release. No software is dead that still receives fixes.

On top of that 4.9 is of course available. I run it on openSUSE 12.2. It's just that KR 4.9 is in an additional repository.

Comment

Working...
                    X