Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Has Been Delayed

Phoronix: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Has Been Delayed

A Go/No-Go meeting today was held today concerning the Fedora 18 Alpha release. It was decided the F18 Alpha needs to slip by one week, which is already pushing back the final release of the Spherical Cow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, what an unexpected surprise...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Wow, what an unexpected surprise...
      Well, we actually got the f17 alpha out on schedule. This one wasn't at all surprising, though, with the anaconda UI re-design going in; that's a massive change and it's still being written. I'd be pretty happy if we manage to get by with just a one week delay, to be honest...

Comment

I really don't mind the delay. I would prefer they get it right though I'm surprised they are completely redoing the installer. Just installed Fedora 17 this week and I thought the installer was great.
        Fedora is definitely my new distro of choice.

Comment

i worst installer is debian's. it asks questions in the middle of the install, instead of asking them all at once and then leaving the user alone. reminds me of windows xp's idiotic workgroup/modem questions in the middle of the install

Comment

Fedora 18 delays.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Has Been Delayed

A Go/No-Go meeting today was held today concerning the Fedora 18 Alpha release. It was decided the F18 Alpha needs to slip by one week, which is already pushing back the final release of the Spherical Cow...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2NjA

Since 2006, with Fedora Core, I have always noted delays of up to one month. In the beginning I used to think that this was due to poor project management.

As I got to learn about open source projects, with volunteers and paid developers, I realized that the project manager (PM) sits down with the groups responsible for deliveries and plans a best effort list of deliverables, with a safety cushion to arrive before the target delivery date. During the development and testing phases, along the way, bugs or discoveries appear, leading to additional unforeseen work. Sometimes this extra work has no dependencies, sometimes the extra work delays delivery. Sometimes the extra work will be delivered as an update after delivery.

Dear Project Manager.

Please do not bear a guilt feeling. You are the Orchestra leader, but some players missed the last bus to the concert hall. And please, dear RH, who pay the PM, look at the track record from all proceeding PMs. Give the PM full support, and help the PM for Fedora 19, which is certainly being planned as F18 is in process of development.

Comment

Working...
            X