X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• liam
    replied
    Why is Lennart so hated?

He designed pulseaudio but he's only a developer, distros could either take it or not. If there was a problem blamw the distros like you would for anything else since, ultimately, they are responsible for breakage.
    I don't think it's his personality since he seems pretty mild-mannered, especially as compared to some of our luminaries

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Reason number 105 - 106 why SystemD is rubbish

As shown in the above thread the philosophy behind SystemD is so short-sighted and retarded it makes me think Lennart Poettering is just a troll working to undermine the UNIX ecosystem.

But like I said before what did you expect from the same person who wrote PulseAudio? Another broken, this time hard to debug, binary mess.

Only fools use binary tools for system administration!
    Wow, what a troll....

If you are serious, read either the docs, which are both extensive and clear, or read lennart's series "Systemd for admins".

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    That sounds very unpleasant.

Trying to keep it diplomatic here.
    With consolekit being dead (www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/) they don't have much choice.

Leave a comment:

• ShadowBane
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxAffenMann View Post
    Most distros don't use systemd.
    Right now it is only the distros that tend to adopt changes quikly and stay up to date use it (Fedora, openSUSE, etc. Arch is moving towards systemd) The trend is for systemd spreading, at this point only debian derivitives are the only ones not using it or moving in that direction.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
    Apparently the google plus page was bogus, and there's no immediate switch coming. They've agreed to begin the process of switching, but there are still unit files to write. There's been some discussion of making desktops depend on systemd when GNOME 3.6 is out but that's only when they're ready and they don't know at this point when they will be ready.
    That sounds very unpleasant.

Trying to keep it diplomatic here.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    Apparently the google plus page was bogus, and there's no immediate switch coming. They've agreed to begin the process of switching, but there are still unit files to write. There's been some discussion of making desktops depend on systemd when GNOME 3.6 is out but that's only when they're ready and they don't know at this point when they will be ready.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxAffenMann
    replied
    Most distros don't use systemd.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Exactly. Unification is good when it's based on technical reasons and in this case it seems there's nothing better than systemd. I wish Ubuntu to switch to systemd.
    Lennart shared that canonical uses systemd in one version of ubuntu targeted towards vehivle infotainment systems. LoL

I believe soon they will also kill Upstart and comply to what most of the distros use.
    Last edited by 89c51; 15 August 2012, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    systemd is very hard to debug. It's also got some really dumb flaws - eg if the journal dies all your services get SIGPIPE and die horribly too. syslog gets elementary stuff like that right.
    What am I doing wrong???

Code:
     ~ % ps aux  | grep journal
    root       155  0.0  0.0  64032  7664 ?        Ss   Aug14   0:01 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
     ~ % sudo kill -9 155
     ~ % ps aux  | grep journal
    root     12163  0.0  0.0  36536  3740 ?        Ss   19:53   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
    I don't see problems...

edit: I should first read the link.

Originally posted by Lennart Poettering18.06.2012+3
    +Alan Cox You know, actually we set SIGPIPE to ignore by default for all services we start. Unless a service explicitly resets SIGPIPE so that it results in process termination what you are describing doesn't exist. I mean, we actually tend to do our homework. And systemd is not hard to debug, just not the same way as sysvinit.
    Last edited by ChrisXY; 15 August 2012, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    This is a good thing for Linux standardization. Right now people offering builds of software that need access to the system init scripts, have to deal with a bunch of different systems. If everyone uses systemd, that problem is solved.
    Exactly. Unification is good when it's based on technical reasons and in this case it seems there's nothing better than systemd. I wish Ubuntu to switch to systemd.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X