Arch Linux Is Switching To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is just too funny.

As long as the transition is painless, I couldn't care less what init system is the PC using.

Besides, Michael, you could have at least checked what init is Arch using now, not just assume it's sysVinit....

Comment

As i do not use arch or fedora i wanted to try systemd on debian wheezy. Well there systemd is really outdated and full of bugs. It did not work on my box with ssd, there i never got any input device as long as systemd was installed (even when i booted via sysvinit). On my system with hd it worked but well, you dont break any record booting from hd. On a different system it booted, but not always, well most likely you have to use a very recent systemd not an old one. I would like to see a current systemd in debian experimental to do better tests. Basically i highly doubt that you can gain so much by using it. When a default install with lots of services running can be booted within 5-8s and you gain maybe 2-3s it is not really critical. When i dont use grub but use linux in efi stub mode i save at least 5s at startup, much more than systemd will give you but of course i would like to try it - but without changeing the distro. They could provide a debian repo with snapshots as well.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        No, but does that mean that just because LP is putting out lots of code any of it is any good at all?
        Then why are devs and distributions picking it up and using it if it is so horrible?

Comment

Reason number 105 - 106 why SystemD is rubbish

If your kernel doesn't have /proc/sys enabled it tries to read the boot_id and instead of deciding it isn't available it aborts the systemd journal and spews crap all over the screen, and leaves nothing logged.

systemd is very hard to debug. It's also got some really dumb flaws - eg if the journal dies all your services get SIGPIPE and die horribly too. syslog gets elementary stuff like that right.

As shown in the above thread the philosophy behind SystemD is so short-sighted and retarded it makes me think Lennart Poettering is just a troll working to undermine the UNIX ecosystem.

But like I said before what did you expect from the same person who wrote PulseAudio? Another broken, this time hard to debug, binary mess.

Only fools use binary tools for system administration!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            This is a good thing for Linux standardization. Right now people offering builds of software that need access to the system init scripts, have to deal with a bunch of different systems. If everyone uses systemd, that problem is solved.
            Exactly. Unification is good when it's based on technical reasons and in this case it seems there's nothing better than systemd. I wish Ubuntu to switch to systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              systemd is very hard to debug. It's also got some really dumb flaws - eg if the journal dies all your services get SIGPIPE and die horribly too. syslog gets elementary stuff like that right.
              What am I doing wrong???

Code:
               ~ % ps aux  | grep journal
              root       155  0.0  0.0  64032  7664 ?        Ss   Aug14   0:01 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
               ~ % sudo kill -9 155
               ~ % ps aux  | grep journal
              root     12163  0.0  0.0  36536  3740 ?        Ss   19:53   0:00 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
              I don't see problems...

edit: I should first read the link.

Originally posted by Lennart Poettering18.06.2012+3
              +Alan Cox You know, actually we set SIGPIPE to ignore by default for all services we start. Unless a service explicitly resets SIGPIPE so that it results in process termination what you are describing doesn't exist. I mean, we actually tend to do our homework. And systemd is not hard to debug, just not the same way as sysvinit.
              Last edited by ChrisXY; 15 August 2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Exactly. Unification is good when it's based on technical reasons and in this case it seems there's nothing better than systemd. I wish Ubuntu to switch to systemd.
                Lennart shared that canonical uses systemd in one version of ubuntu targeted towards vehivle infotainment systems. LoL

I believe soon they will also kill Upstart and comply to what most of the distros use.
                Last edited by 89c51; 15 August 2012, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Most distros don't use systemd.

Comment

Apparently the google plus page was bogus, and there's no immediate switch coming. They've agreed to begin the process of switching, but there are still unit files to write. There's been some discussion of making desktops depend on systemd when GNOME 3.6 is out but that's only when they're ready and they don't know at this point when they will be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                      Apparently the google plus page was bogus, and there's no immediate switch coming. They've agreed to begin the process of switching, but there are still unit files to write. There's been some discussion of making desktops depend on systemd when GNOME 3.6 is out but that's only when they're ready and they don't know at this point when they will be ready.
                      That sounds very unpleasant.

Trying to keep it diplomatic here.

Comment

Working...
                      X