Arch Linux Is Switching To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RollMeAway View Post
    I stopped using my installation of Arch when upgrading offered NO OPTION but to install systemd.

My experience with other distros using systemd is: If it works you don't even know its there.
    If it doesn't work YOU, the user have little control, or knowledge, of how to fix it.
    Learn how to use it. It's not like you knew how to maintain the traditional bootscripts before you learned how they worked...

Comment

Good thing he didn't begin his computing with CP/M. He would still be using it because the boot system of MS-DOS was a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
        Wow, so much FUD in this thread, just like all the threads in the arch-general mailing list.

A. You can still use rc.conf, some of the Arch devs have worked hard to make their systemd be able to read the DAEMONS array so no changes necessary, though they are recommended to match upstreadm.

B. The main selling point of systemd is not speed, though it is much faster. The reason the devs are all so eager to switch is because systemd service files are MUCH easier to write than initscripts. Not only are they much faster to write but they're portable so the hope is upstream will eventually be able to maintain their own service files and the devs jobs will be much easier. People do things that make their lives easier - surprise!

C. They didn't force you to install systemd, systemd-tools is a collection of small binaries which are useful to any init system - Arch's initscripts make heavy use of them. AFAIK they're still not forcing you, but it will be default and they probably will force you eventually.
        +1 ...and very well said. I had also been following the threads on the list and was a little surprised by some of the comments.

I wasn't sure if i was going to like systemd, at first. but after switching over and familiarizing myself with it - i quite like it. My system boots faster (small benefit, no big deal) but the service files are easy to work with and fairly straight-forward.

I think it is a good move for Archlinux to switch now rather than somewhere down the line. I haven't switched my other Arch machine yet, but i think i will do that sometime over the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by RollMeAway View Post
          I stopped using my installation of Arch when upgrading offered NO OPTION but to install systemd.

My experience with other distros using systemd is: If it works you don't even know its there.
          If it doesn't work YOU, the user have little control, or knowledge, of how to fix it.

My view is that systemd is a complicated solution looking for a problem to fix.
          I had NO PROBLEMS with booting, that I could not fix, until systemd came along.

If you just use the basic install a distro gives you, likely you won't care about systemd.
          Assuming the distro developers can learn how to setup and use systemd.

If you are a tweaker, and like to change things, systemd has a LONG way to go before it is usable.
          Perhaps in the future 3rd party developers will produce an interface for humans to control systemd.
          Until that time I still have other options. Debian and slackware to name a couple.
          NO option but to install systemd? You must be mistaken.

Switching to systemd is the topic of this article.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            What's the problem with Slackware ?!?
            No matter it was one of the last distros that i tested several years ago, it end up to be my favorite...i'm using it right now

Very stable, very snappy, very configurable, very easy to install blobs, (re)compile kernels, etc...aaahhhh....yes....and the audio simply works out of the box with multimedia and games

ps:I have nothing against Systemd....then again never used it
            I never used slackware but I have heard it doesn't have dependency resolution with the packages? I'm sure there are tools that provide that functionality but, really that sounds like a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              It's written by the PulseAudio author. That alone makes it l33t.

Oh, and it also makes the system boot extremely fast. Not sure how important that is to people.
              It's written by same guy of PA ?!? HELP !!!! End of the world is near !!!

That alone is a good excuse to hate it already w/o the need to test it

Boot real fast ?!? AHAHAH, LOOSERS !!!
              I don't care !!! My PC is usually switched ON 24/7 !!! Boot fast is something needed for Windows not for Slackware

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                I never used slackware but I have heard it doesn't have dependency resolution with the packages? I'm sure there are tools that provide that functionality but, really that sounds like a pain.
                I use slapt-get utility and it works OK....besides that i also use my brain

It was much worse some years ago...

With time i kinda wrote my own handbook, it's a breeze to install and configure now any new Slackware release....can't wait for Slackware 14

There was a phrase "If you learn UBUNTU, you learn UBUNTU, if you learn FEDORA , you learn FEDORA but if you learn Slackware, you learn LINUX" ...so, true...the instalation process is something more intimidating than UBUNTU or Windows where you are carried by hand....i still remember my 1st time that installed it

I said to myself " Oh s**t, oh S**T !!! I must be nuts to try to install this alone !!!" after tested UBUNTU, Fedora, Mandriva , PCLinuxOS, XUBUNTU, KUBUNTU, Debian, etc, etc.

But ended up OK, and no matter i continue to test other distros , i end up coming back to Slackware...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                  I think you are missing the difference between 'standard' and 'a standard.'
                  FYI, I think the terms you're looking for are "de facto" and "de jure."

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    besides BUYING distribution boxes so indirectly paying devs, reporting bugs and some small patches?

No, but does that mean that just because LP is putting out lots of code any of it is any good at all?

Are you kidding? Sound deamons have problems, lets create pulseaudio! Pulseaudio has some rt problems, lets create some daemon that fucks up rt for jack users! Pulseaudio has some problems during boot, write a new init system! One that makes things harder for everybody else! Oh and usurp udev, so in the future everybody will be forced to use systemd!

Next step: registry?
                    I am pretty sure you have your wires crossed on the rt daemon thing since I have been around on the LAD and LAU mailing lists while this has been happening. My understanding goes like this - the method for RT that jack currently uses introduces security issues such that distros such as debian don't want to turn it on by default... The current compromise is that debian based distros at least give you the option to turn it on when you install jack. What Lennart proposed (and implemented) was an alternative method of getting realtime privileges that offered extra security against some forms of attack. He wrote to the linux audio crowd to inform them that an alternative way of getting realtime privileges was available. The jack crowd understandably had previously been told that they way that they were doing things was acceptable and to my knowledge has stuck to the way that they are doing things. I don't think a daemon (other than pulse or jack) is involved in this process at all. -

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
                      FYI, I think the terms you're looking for are "de facto" and "de jure."
                      Mostly I just didn't want to spell check those.. :P

Also, "de facto" presents itself in english as "the standard" and "de jure" presents itself in english as "a stanard"

Comment

Working...
                      X