No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Is Switching To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following the Arch wiki (which wasn’t that obvious since there is no conversion guide from initscripts/sysvinit to systemd yet), I enabled systemd and while my PC did boot fine, I had no sound (no ALSA) and it got stuck at shutdown. So I guess not everything’s ready yet.

(I searched the wiki/forums and didn’t find anyone talking about ALSA or sound problems with systemd. Tried a few things but no luck.)
    Last edited by stqn; 17 August 2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
      Funnily enough - I am reading it, liam

Paul Davis isn't involved with RoseGarden, but is the Original Author/Designer of Jack audio connection kit, as well as the Daw; Ardour (cross-platform, Mac and Linux - if you include the Work Done jointly by Harrsion Consoles, their version called 'Mixbus' then there is a Windows port, as well). He has also been involved in some other projects, Notably; he was one of 2 of the original programmers who helped start Amazon.com.

I've also via the jack-dev-list heard him discuss other low-level plumbing he had been involved with in the past, although i can't remember all of the specifics (something to do with schedulers, but i don't think it was to do with linux). he is definitely a very intelligent, talented programmer (among other areas of expertise, which are listed in Wikipedia). The guy really knows his stuff.

Paul in the KLANG thread (page 5-7);

cheerz!
      Well fancy that. What a small forum we write to
      Thanks for the corrections, and links. I'd no idea what he'd done save what I gleaned from his and your comments.
      I wonder if klang will be continued considering that the dev didn't really seem able to address Paul's concerns.

Best/Liam

Comment

• Originally posted by stqn View Post
        Following the Arch wiki (which wasn?t that obvious since there is no conversion guide from initscripts/sysvinit to systemd yet), I enabled systemd and while my PC did boot fine, I had no sound (no ALSA) and it got stuck at shutdown. So I guess not everything?s ready yet.

(I searched the wiki/forums and didn?t find anyone talking about ALSA or sound problems with systemd. Tried a few things but no luck.)
        That's weird, my sound is working just fine. In fact I never had to enable anything to do with the sound, Systemd seems to start ALSA automatically.

But as you say, I guess there must be some bug bears lurking there in certain cases.

Comment

• I dont think I enabled anything before I reboted. After the boot I enabled (and started) kdm. In the months thereafter I probably have enabled some daemons like networmanager and cups manually. As systemd has graphical target as deafult my guess it should give a working system as default. If something not start as it should it easy to fix it when it happens...

Comment

• systemd shaved off 70% off my boot time, very welcome!

Comment

• What must be stated

Systemd has thus far not been a huge problem, yet I truly believe both upstart and launchd are better systems. BSD Init scripts are too limited, and they were my no. 1 reason to avoid Arch. A modern Init system is important, and anything recently written in C was an improvement. Systemd limitations aside... Although the lack of portability rubs me the wrong way.

PulseAudio is terrible, 100 ways to Sunday, superfluous doesn't even describe it's worthlessness. Even the PulseAudio developers admit, unwillingness/inability to improve ALSA was used to excuse it's dreaded conception. This actually describes, extremely accurately, what is most irritating about the FOSS development community. When something needs to be improved, instead of cleanly implementing improvements, an extra layer of latency is always the response.

Comment

• Originally posted by techzilla View Post
                Systemd has thus far not been a huge problem, yet I truly believe both upstart and launchd are better systems. BSD Init scripts are too limited, and they were my no. 1 reason to avoid Arch. A modern Init system is important, and anything recently written in C was an improvement. Systemd limitations aside... Although the lack of portability rubs me the wrong way.

PulseAudio is terrible, 100 ways to Sunday, superfluous doesn't even describe it's worthlessness. Even the PulseAudio developers admit, unwillingness/inability to improve ALSA was used to excuse it's dreaded conception. This actually describes, extremely accurately, what is most irritating about the FOSS development community. When something needs to be improved, instead of cleanly implementing improvements, an extra layer of latency is always the response.
                Qualms about pulseaudio's implementation aside, saying its completely terrible or superfluous is just stupid. For my usage plain alsa straight up does not cut it, certain things either do not work at all or take significant configuration (for example my hdmi audio output on my laptop). Pulseaudio handles all these things perfectly for me out of the box.
                Last edited by bwat47; 01 September 2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• I don't want an init system that was only created because pulseaudio sucks.

I don't want an init system by a guy that wrote a real time daemon, dropped into a jack ml and told them 'btw, this will be mandatory, and yes, I screwed you over. Sucks to be you'.

I don't want an init system that depends on dbus

I don't want an init system that gnomifies my computers.

I don't want an init system that replaces a simple init 3 with this crap: systemctl enable multi-user.target

what next? mandatory initrd even on a system where no mounting is needed for all the important stuff to be in place?

---- energyman76b gentoo.org forums

Sums up my thoughts on SystemD 100%

Comment

• Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                    I don't want an init system that was only created because pulseaudio sucks.

I don't want an init system by a guy that wrote a real time daemon, dropped into a jack ml and told them 'btw, this will be mandatory, and yes, I screwed you over. Sucks to be you'.

I don't want an init system that replaces a simple init 3 with this crap: systemctl enable multi-user.target

what next? mandatory initrd even on a system where no mounting is needed for all the important stuff to be in place?

Good. Welcome to the extinction terrority where those who refuse to adapt die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                      I don't want an init system that was only created because pulseaudio sucks.

This post is so incredibly moronic, I don't even know where to begin.

This video sums it up nicely:

From the final part of the academic decathlon in the movie Billy Madison. The actor is Jim Downey, formerly of SNL. I could not find a good version to use fo...

anyway:

1. How the fuck was systemd 'created because pulseaudio sucks'? That literally makes no sense, pulseaudio and systemd have absolutely nothing to do with eachother, besides being created by the same author.

2. Again, what the fuck do rkit and pulseaudio have to do with systemd? NOTHING.

3. Why is this bad exactly? Dbus is extremely useful and tons of software already depends on it.

4. How the flying FUCK does it "gnomify" your computer? That makes absolutely no sense, systemd has nothing to do with gnome.

5. I don't even understand what the hell you are trying to say here...
                      Last edited by bwat47; 02 September 2012, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X