Mid-2012: Arch Linux vs. Slackware vs. Ubuntu vs. Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be possible to precompile things on a fast machine and then transfer it to the slower one...
    distcc

(10 chars)

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      distcc
      Oh, well, that's handy, thanks. Though it only works after the kernel is in place, I assume, and compiling that still takes a while.

Comment

Oh, well, that's handy, thanks. Though it only works after the kernel is in place, I assume, and compiling that still takes a while.
        As far as I know, you just need networking, and the same version of gcc. Of course, you might need the the kernel recompiled to enable networking, depending on the setup. At any rate, the gentoo handbook has some good documentation on using distcc.

Comment

slackware

That's what you get when one guy does all the work.

Now maybe everybody can hush and support one distribution. Thanks for the tests!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
            That's what you get when one guy does all the work.

One BDFL and a team of many.

Now maybe everybody can hush and support one distribution. Thanks for the tests!
            Only in North Korea...

Comment

Looking at the image of system specifications it is at least two different systems (e.g. different sound cards?), making the comparison bogus and the tester suspect.

Why not run the benchmarks and distros on the same system?

Comment

The genkenrel takes a while to compile, but custom kernels go pretty fast. (hundreds of modules vs a dozen)

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                  One BDFL and a team of many.
                  BDFL Bi-Directional Flowing Linux?

Not too sure about the team of many, it's one guy. The other guy sends him patches and he meshes them in.

Two dudes at most.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
                    I've used both Gentoo and am still using Arch. While "speed" was really the reason to go to Gentoo (and then move to Arch as I couldn't be arsed recompiling), it has a lot of other benefits compared to other distros.
                    Sabayon is Gentoo precompiled, but you can emerge what you want and of course recompile some parts if you wish, and at my desktop computer is faster, but as I do like tests, I want to see Sabayon benchmarks, to see where it is faster or not than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      distcc

(10 chars)
                      distcc's a good way to speed up compilation. Another way is to do it purly on the desktop and rsync with the tablet.

Run:
                      Code:
                      gcc -march=native -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep cc1
                      on the tablet to see what flags 'march=native' will give you and:
                      Code:
                      echo | gcc -dM -E - -march=native
                      to get the CPU instruction sets.

Download a stage 3 tarball and extract it to a new chroot location, put the results of those commands into your C(XX)FLAGS in your make.conf, chroot, and start building your tablet system on the desktop as you normally would. When your done building everything, boot the tablet off a USB stick or something and rsync with the chroot on the desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X