Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Comes To Fedora 17

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Comes To Fedora 17

For those not liking the GNOME Shell, KDE, Xfce, or one of the other desktop environments already available on Fedora 17, Ubuntu's Unity is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious how well it works with the min-max-close buttons on the right? I guess maximized windows just push them left?

Also, I guess you would do this to run unity on newer kernels? Otherwise, why not just use Ubuntu?

Comment

Nice, I hope Arch picks this up, too. Well, TBH, I haven't tried installing Unity on Arch, but from what I gather from the wiki, it appears to be a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
        Nice, I hope Arch picks this up, too. Well, TBH, I haven't tried installing Unity on Arch, but from what I gather from the wiki, it appears to be a PITA.
        Yeah, it is. you gotta install a shitload of aur packages.

Comment

From the screenshots it seems that it does not support the Global Menu like in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            From the screenshots it seems that it does not support the Global Menu like in Ubuntu.
            In the latest version of unity the global menu does not appear until you mouse over the window title.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              In the latest version of unity the global menu does not appear until you mouse over the window title.
              Sorry, I mean on the screenshots windows have their own menubars.

Comment

Sorry, I mean on the screenshots windows have their own menubars.
                That may be entirely by choice. Unity doesn't have a requirement of using the global menu ~ that just happens to be the default, but it can be disabled very easily.

It's interesting though, that with all of the Unity-haters out there - Fedora is the third distro i have seen that can potentially have Unity running - although as others have pointed out - it's no fun to install in Archlinux

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
                  I'm curious how well it works with the min-max-close buttons on the right? I guess maximized windows just push them left?

Also, I guess you would do this to run unity on newer kernels? Otherwise, why not just use Ubuntu?
                  A simple change in gconf-editor will put them back on the left And yes, the buttons will still be on the left when windows are maximized.

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                  I'm the maintainer of both Unity-for-Fedora (along with Damian Ivanov) and Unity-for-Arch The instructions in the Arch Wiki likely won't work. You can build the PKGBUILDs from my git repo: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch. The instructions are in the README file.

The screenshots are old ones that I took a while ago. The datetime indicator (just shows "Time") and duplicated menu bar (in GTK 3 programs) issues are now fixed.

There's just a few minor issues left, such as duplicated settings icons in GNOME Control Center.

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                  That may be entirely by choice. Unity doesn't have a requirement of using the global menu ~ that just happens to be the default, but it can be disabled very easily.

It's interesting though, that with all of the Unity-haters out there - Fedora is the third distro i have seen that can potentially have Unity running - although as others have pointed out - it's no fun to install in Archlinux
                  Actually, that was just a missing package We're working to make Unity as easy to install as possible. Something along the lines of:

sudo yum install unity-experience
                  sudo pacman -S unity-experience

The problem with the Arch packages is that they take forever to build. But with the introduction of the Arch backend in the new development versions of OBS, we should be able to provide binary packages for Arch Linux, Fedora, and openSUSE at the same time

Comment

Unity is starting to become a real opensource project, not only specially crafted for ubuntu. Unity version 5.12 starts to get there, now it is something i would deem as release ready.

Looks rather nice on fedora17. Change the ubuntu button logo into a fedora one, and upgrade the compiz version and i think we have a winner. 0.9.8 series is rumored to bring significant improvements and structural changes and cleanup. Compiz has been horrible in terms of speed and stability, it has improved, and 0.9.8 will again take it a notch further.

Comment

Working...
                    X