Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 5

Phoronix: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon Tribe 5

The feature freeze, upstream version freeze, and the first artwork deadline passed last week for Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. With these freezes, Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 5 has been released with the last of the new features until Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. Ubuntu has now adopted system-config-printer (which was originally developed by Red Hat and Fedora) for handling the printing needs that gnome-cups-manager once had controlled, CUPS being upgraded to 1.3, a plug-in finder wizard and extension manager for Firefox in Ubuntu, and the new displayconfig-gtk panel for graphically controlling your X settings. Ubuntu 7.10 is shaping up very nicely and we have one more Tribe release and then the beta release, followed by the final release of Gutsy Gibbon on October 18.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I haven't tried this yet, but this will probably be the latest version available for me to install on a T60 within (hopefully) a short amount of time. Has anyone installed this releasae yet, and if so have you run into any serious problems?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
      I haven't tried this yet, but this will probably be the latest version available for me to install on a T60 within (hopefully) a short amount of time. Has anyone installed this releasae yet, and if so have you run into any serious problems?
      I did a couple installs with Tribe 5. No major problems yet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Not the product is bad from Ubuntu, but the way they fix bugs. Even when you report bugs WITH patch then they are ignored when noone else than you has the same issue. One out of 3 reported kernel patches have been added and the one I think only because some others had the same issue. For me one known with the issue is enough to fix it - as there could be always others with the same. Especially if the patches only add new PCI/USB/PCMCIA ids. Also these feature freese it not that optimal when want current drivers for ndiswrapper or ntfs-3g. Especially when you are the only one how cares about - maybe some fake users would help I test my scripts with Kubuntu, and will be able to use it as base for my distro if I need it, but some things really should improve there. I currently test their kernels on Etch - with added patches. They are not bad but perfection is definitely not the goal they want to reach - otherwise they would have added all patches.

Comment

Working...
        X