Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting Fedora 17 In Less Than Three Seconds

Phoronix: Booting Fedora 17 In Less Than Three Seconds

It's possible to optimize the Fedora 17 boot process to boot the system in less than three seconds. One developer went from a boot time of 15 seconds down to just 2.5 seconds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be more impressed if an OS can boot fast out-of-the-box without tweaks.

Comment

oops

Perhaps his next article shoud be about making sure one has adequate service capacity, before posting an article on a popular subject.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
        I'd be more impressed if an OS can boot fast out-of-the-box without tweaks.
        This guy has turned off so many services, it's pretty misleading to call it "Fedora 17" anymore, because that's CERTAINLY NOT the experience you are going to get! Without LVM or selinux or software RAID or zeroconf, it's not going to be a "useful" computer in many environments, more like a toy.

Wha't even odder is that he's heavily optimized an operation that most people do exactly ONCE when a new kernel is released. Who reboots in the age of suspend and hibernate? Everyone prefers persistent sessions over having to log back in again.

Comment

I would not disable the services, i would just uninstall em. Also get rid of any overrides, then you can add the kernel to uefi directly (if configured correctly). I am also not sure if those systemd "benchmarks" are accurate compared to bootchart. I don't get why you have to optimize it so hard to get this, without swap a default kanotix install should already give a 5s boot to kdm when using a ssd. No systemd needed at all... Also why should prefetch improve ssd bootspeed? Absolutely no logic behind...

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
            Without LVM or selinux or software RAID or zeroconf, it's not going to be a "useful" computer in many environments, more like a toy.
            I would say that it looks more like an normal desktop system instead of server.

Who reboots in the age of suspend and hibernate? Everyone prefers persistent sessions over having to log back in again.
            Suspend uses power and hibernate doesn't even work in many situations. Then you kinda have to reboot when ever you upgrade kernel and in some distros that's like once per week. I personally like to start new sessions just for the sake of it.

Comment

Written guide: waste of time

Why's the written guide being pushed out?

Integrate these features! They know it's what we want. Why do they keep teasing?

For how many generations now has Fedora been talking about fast boot?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                I would say that it looks more like an normal desktop system instead of server.
                Which is more of what Fedora is about anyways. SElinux and so much of this other stuff should be optional, not mandatory.

Let those who want it flick it on have at it, instead of the other way around. It doesn't need to be removed, just disabled by default.

Comment

Who reboots in the age of suspend and hibernate? Everyone prefers persistent sessions over having to log back in again.
                  Holy Exaggerated Generalization Batman! I guess I'm nobody then because I don't suspend and hibernate. I don't like killing trees for no reason. I do agree about the dubious usefulness of such a stripped down system, but that a 3 second boot is interesting yes it is.

Comment

Without LVM or selinux or software RAID or zeroconf, it's not going to be a "useful" computer in many environments, more like a toy.
                    None of those seem particularly important to me, with the possible exception of SELinux. I don't use LVM or RAID on my desktop, and I *certainly* don't use zeroconf. Why would I care about those things on a normal system?

Comment

Working...
                    X