Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Discuss Using Mono AOT

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Discuss Using Mono AOT

Ubuntu developers are currently exploring the possibility of using Mono AOT to reduce start-up time, allow for better memory sharing, and for greater performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For everyone's sake, just get rid of mono!

Comment

obligatory because there are certain words that create a mess everytime someone mentions them. some are Mono, Pulseaudio, Systemd, Lennart Poettering, Microsoft, network transparency etc

Comment

They can do whatever they want to do with mono in repository, but get rid of it on default installation.

Comment

Mono is good

Mono is good. AFAIK its not lagging far behind Microsoft's .NET framework implementation.
          Mono is full open source under MIT, LGPL, GPL.

C# is a Ecma standard, ECMA-334.

As I understand it, C# is faster than Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP, etc.
          C# is lot easier and friendlier to code in than C, C++, Objective-C.

Someone should port the Java Class Library to C#.

Comment

They could do it to Java too, if only gcj supported any of its GUIs

Sure it's faster than interpreted languages, but lost to Java last I checked.

Hell no. But opinion question anyway.

Double ewww.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Sure it's faster than interpreted languages, but lost to Java last I checked.
              AFAIK Ximians project to port Android from Java to Mono shows the Mono port to be significiantly faster.

Hell no. But opinion question anyway.
              No more buffer overflows, memory pointers, etc.

Double ewww.
              For people who like C# but oppose .NET, this would be .NET-free C#.

Comment

Glad they're talking about faster startup times for Mono apps instead of faster startup times of Ubuntu Desktop by somehow using Mono.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Mono is good. AFAIK its not lagging far behind Microsoft's .NET framework implementation.
                Mono is full open source under MIT, LGPL, GPL.

C# is a Ecma standard, ECMA-334.

I'm sorry, Mono will always lag behind .Net. There will always be bugs and unimplemented features unless you're compairing to older versions of .Net, and there's still the problem of the windows-only extensions (forms for example). Mono have to develop in the same direction as Microsoft .Net which probably means even more "easy-to-use" (for Windows programmers) Microsoft-only features. In the long term the core of Mono/.Net will only become as good as Microsoft allows it to be. I'm sure there's a neat programming language in there, but why go for a programming environment that is more or less controlled by Microsoft, which are 100% sure to use it to promote Windows?

In my experience with getting .Net apps running in Wine with the help of Mono I'd say that almost 100% of the .Net2.0 apps works, about 75% of the .Net3.0/.Net3.5 apps can be made to work and less then 50% of the .Net4.0 apps works. It's far easier to get easier to get some random C/C++ binary working in Wine then .Net4.0 apps. Java/Perl/Python apps are almost trivially easy to get in some working order since you'll have the source code available.
                Last edited by a7v-user; 12 May 2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

You dont have the source for a java program any more then you do for a .net porgram.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    AFAIK Ximians project to port Android from Java to Mono shows the Mono port to be significiantly faster.
                    Yes, it's faster than Dalvik. Dalvik != Java, Dalvik also != OpenJDK (hotspot).

No more buffer overflows, memory pointers, etc.
                    Instead it has its own problems, like untraceable memory leaks, horrible, verbose syntax, being a bytecode language without any of the benefits (no way to addess objects by their name, ie a string. No the reflection/introspection/etc extensions don't work for this.), slow startup (same as Java), completely illogical parts like "using", no macro processor at all, etc etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X