Clear All

• del_diablo
    replied
    Sucks to be you then.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
    For me 100mb is about a minutte of download. Might to a good time to consider upgrading your internett connection.
    Not all parts of the world have connections that gets even close to that and as a citizen of those parts you wouldn't have a chance to upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• del_diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    For you.. And many-many people here. But there's people that don't have that kind of luxury, you know? For that size, I have to wait for 1 hour to download it.
    For me 100mb is about a minutte of download. Might to a good time to consider upgrading your internett connection.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    Modems are still used for faxing (yeah apparently that is still being used to) and some phone handling.

Canonical needs to fit Ubuntu on to a single cd for several reasons, so 150MB is a huge 20% of the total budget.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Why do you need to install VirtualBox guest additions?
    Why doesn't it "just work" out-of-the-box?

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Absolutely not. It does not matter if you need 100-150 mb more or not. thats a piece of cake today. Also inactive drivers only need space, they are NOT loaded.
    For you.. And many-many people here. But there's people that don't have that kind of luxury, you know? For that size, I have to wait for 1 hour to download it.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I think it is a great idea to add VirtualBox guest additions to Jockey.
    It would make it easier on novices.

However, I think we need to move away from proprietary drivers.
    We need to continue pushing and moving toward blob-free.
    That's an excellent idea. I haven't really used jockey in several years but I'm surprised something like that hasn't been done sooner.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    VirtualBox guest additions

I think it is a great idea to add VirtualBox guest additions to Jockey.
    It would make it easier on novices.

However, I think we need to move away from proprietary drivers.
    We need to continue pushing and moving toward blob-free.

Leave a comment:

• ariendj
    replied
    Basically it is possible to detect switched gfx cards even on a hd install and configure binary drivers on the fly. Thats possible with debian wheezy and should work with ubuntu as well. it is a bit tricky to show that on Linuxtag as i dont want to transport a desktop system but expect a Kanotix release with that feature or just the package needed in that timeframe. I dont get why U does not preinstall the drivers and just switch em...
    That's good news, didn't know about that yet. Is there any more information available on this or should I wait until after LinuxTag?

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
    Remember Canonical's paranoid policy of rolling as small ISOs as possible.
    Yeah I never fully understood that policy either. I can understand that some people prefer a small download but they could just use Netinstall.

I always end up downloading a lot of extra packages after the install so at one point I just started to use Remastersys to make a DVD ISO with all the software I would need to download anyway after installing.

From the article:
    Among the mentioned hardware was for now bundling scanner firmware, support for ndiswrapper (what allows using Windows networking drivers on Linux), Brother Printer drivers, LinuxAnt dial-up model drivers, and more.
    I recently installed a new laser printer/scanner/fax from Brother for a friend. While Brother do offer good GPL'd driver support I did have to install from their site with dpkg. I would really like to be able to grab Brother drivers with a preinstalled utility. The same goes for firmware in general and the mentioned VirtualBox guest drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Hirager
    replied
    Absolutely not. It does not matter if you need 100-150 mb more or not. thats a piece of cake today. Also inactive drivers only need space, they are NOT loaded.
    Remember Canonical's paranoid policy of rolling as small ISOs as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X