No announcement yet.

A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This GNOME Ubuntu flavor would bring in GNOME Boxes, Abiword/Gnumeric rather than LibreOffice, ....
    What about Ease

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Obviously I realize this, what I am saying is that it would be nice if they just included them by default considering their negligable size.
    I very much agree with you, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      As far as 'multitasking' goes if you can't figure out how to do it in Gnome-shell then you won't be able to figure out how to do it on any desktop. It provides a significant improvement in the speed of switching/selecting between large numbers of windows
      You've got to be kidding. I can figure this out much easier in Unity, Xfce and KDE of course. They're also much more comfortable to use. Btw. sticking to upstream means a failure in this case. Ubuntu is far more popular than Fedora and its shitty desktop.
      Last edited by kraftman; 12 May 2012, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Wrong focus?

Maybe the focus should instead be on making Unity up-to-date so it can be used with the latest GNOME?

So Unity will always depend on the latest GNOME.

PS. I'd like to see GNOME Classic get some more love & attention.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          You've got to be kidding. I can figure this out much easier in Unity, Xfce and KDE of course. They're also much more comfortable to use. Btw. sticking to upstream means a failure in this case. Ubuntu is far more popular than Fedora and its shitty desktop.
          To each their own

Comment

Not on Ubuntu so I don't really see the problem here. Is it really too hard to ask for the users to type sudo apt-get install gnome?

Comment

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
              Not on Ubuntu so I don't really see the problem here. Is it really too hard to ask for the users to type sudo apt-get install gnome?
              I think the intent is to get a completely Vanilla version of gnome. Just installing gnome isn't quite vanilla at the moment, but with the idea of forking gnome-control-center and splitting Unity from gnome in 12.10 and beyond is where this becomes a more distinct spin.

Comment

What for?

I find all these ubuntus spin-off kind of useless.
                By the way... how uses gnome-shell? is the worst DE ever! really

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                  The most modern Linux desktop is, and has been for a long time, provided by Fedora. This includes Gnome-shell.

The further Ubuntu strays from what Gnome folks, Linux kernel, and Linux 'plumbing' folks are doing on Fedora the farther they will fall behind because development is not their core competency.

As far as 'multitasking' goes if you can't figure out how to do it in Gnome-shell then you won't be able to figure out how to do it on any desktop. It provides a significant improvement in the speed of switching/selecting between large numbers of windows. With Gnome-shell I can break my dependence on window tabs and nesting shells using tmux/screen due to the fact that the Window manager is now capable enough. This is something that I couldn't do on Gnome 2 and other desktops I regularly use.

And unlike other systems I can do this without having to manually micromanage my window through static arrangements and scripting, which is something that always irritated the hell out of me.

If that's the case, it's safe to say that the most modern Linux desktop sucks quite badly. I'm fed up with this Gnome 3 bullshit crusade. During the last year, and after reading some posts like this, I installed a couple of virtual machines to see what the fuss was about, only to discover that either some people are on drugs, on a trolling trip, or outright fucking taking the piss. It's been quite a few years both my home and work computers run Linux, and I fucking swear to god I'd go back to Windows on an heartbeat if I were forced to use this Gnome 3 abomination. Basically, I could not find out how to do *anything* at all. Maybe there is some way to accomplish the kind of things I do with KDE, such as assign shortcuts to move and resize windows with the keyboard, to maximise them in either dimension, to change focus to windows to the right/left/top/bottom, to automatically group them or to customize per window and per application behaviour, but I couldn't work it out. Of course, I devoted the same time to learning how to do these things as I did with KDE, i.e., none whatsoever: I'm not going to look up how to do this kind of shit, I've got plenty of better things to do.

I challenge you to prove where is that "significant improvement in the speed of switching/selecting between large numbers of windows". The time it takes me to do so in KDE is pretty close to ZERO seconds. What studies are you drawing your conclusions from? Which numbers are your referring to? What killer Gnome 3 feature would allow me to "multitask" in a "significantly improved" way?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    PS. I'd like to see GNOME Classic get some more love & attention.
                    Based on this article, it did get a lot of work done on it between 11.10 and 12.04:
                    Come April 26th and the release of Ubuntu 12.04 a vast number of Ubuntu users will be getting their first taste of the Unity desktop since its basic beginnings as the Ubuntu Netbook Remix in the last LTS. But for all of the innovation, aesthetics and features that the unity desktop offers there is a chance that, for many, the change will be too much. But Unity is only one desktop environment available to install in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      Maybe there is some way to accomplish the kind of things I do with KDE, such as assign shortcuts to move and resize windows with the keyboard, to maximise them in either dimension, to change focus to windows to the right/left/top/bottom, to automatically group them or to customize per window and per application behaviour, but I couldn't work it out. Of course, I devoted the same time to learning how to do these things as I did with KDE, i.e., none whatsoever: I'm not going to look up how to do this kind of shit, I've got plenty of better things to do.
                      So you subconsciously knew what shortcuts there were on KDE? You did no research whatsoever? Just installed it one day and were all "Hey, it's KDE! I know this!"? Please.
                      • The shortcuts to do stuff are in the shortcuts control settings (Go to activities, type in shortcuts and press return if you don't want to click as you're so l33t).
                      • You get default shortcuts for moving windows to the left/right and to maximise/unmaximise them with LOGO+LEFT, LOGO+RIGHT, LOGO+UP and LOGO+DOWN respectively.
                      • CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+{UP,DOWN} will move your window to a different desktops (creating desktops on the fly as needed), removing the shift will just let you change desktop. It's been like this since Gnome 1.X.
                      • Grouping windows? Not so much - but then, as we're venting bile based on pure conjecture, maybe you failed to realise that app windows *are* grouped together. ALT+TAB for moving between apps, ALT+` to move between windows of apps.
                      • Customising per windows/per app? Not a clue what that means - you can hack macros into your window manager to deal with apps that don't do the right thing?

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                      I challenge you to prove where is that "significant improvement in the speed of switching/selecting between large numbers of windows". The time it takes me to do so in KDE is pretty close to ZERO seconds. What studies are you drawing your conclusions from? Which numbers are your referring to? What killer Gnome 3 feature would allow me to "multitask" in a "significantly improved" way?
                      Brilliant. Just brilliant.

You need to provide reams of evidence that is available to me but it's all irrelevant as everything I do happens in t = 0 KDE FTWLOLBBQ
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X