Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Phoronix: A GNOME Flavor Of Ubuntu - "GNOME-buntu"

Thanks to growing user-interest, it looks like there is going to be a GNOME Shell flavor of Ubuntu to satisfy those who aren't fond of the direction of Canonical's Unity desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally, I just think they should include Gnome Shell and Gnome Panel in the default Ubuntu. I mean, they really don't take very much space since all the libraries are already there.

Comment

Both the panel and the shell are available in the repositories already, but they're not installed by default of course.

Comment

I don't care about another Ubuntu spin shipping GNOME Shell or Classic (as they're in the repos already). I only care them to be as close to upstream as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Both the panel and the shell are available in the repositories already, but they're not installed by default of course.
          Obviously I realize this, what I am saying is that it would be nice if they just included them by default considering their negligable size.

Comment

There might be a point to having gnome 3 there pre installed if it did not suck so bad.

Comment

I think it's easier to multitask with webos than gnome shell.

Canonical was wise to split from gnome and try to go their own way. It's probably the only practical way to modernize the linux desktop.

Not that what they came up with was particularly good.

Comment

The most modern Linux desktop is, and has been for a long time, provided by Fedora. This includes Gnome-shell.

The further Ubuntu strays from what Gnome folks, Linux kernel, and Linux 'plumbing' folks are doing on Fedora the farther they will fall behind because development is not their core competency.

As far as 'multitasking' goes if you can't figure out how to do it in Gnome-shell then you won't be able to figure out how to do it on any desktop. It provides a significant improvement in the speed of switching/selecting between large numbers of windows. With Gnome-shell I can break my dependence on window tabs and nesting shells using tmux/screen due to the fact that the Window manager is now capable enough. This is something that I couldn't do on Gnome 2 and other desktops I regularly use.

And unlike other systems I can do this without having to manually micromanage my window through static arrangements and scripting, which is something that always irritated the hell out of me.
                Last edited by drag; 11 May 2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Gobuntu?

That reminds me, whatever happened to Gobuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post
                    That reminds me, whatever happened to Gobuntu?
                    From Wikipedia:
                    Because Ubuntu now incorporates a "free software only" installer option, the Gobuntu project was rendered redundant in early 2008. As a result Canonical made the decision officially to end the Gobuntu project with version 8.04.

Comment

Working...
                    X