Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Plans For A Future With Upstart

Phoronix: Ubuntu Plans For A Future With Upstart

If you were hoping that Ubuntu 12.10 would mark the switch from Upstart to systemd for its init daemon, there was no surprise announcement and the Ubuntu developers are continuing to push for the advancement of Upstart...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

NIH strikes again...

Comment

Staying away from that abomination called SystemD is a great call. Kudos to the Ubuntu developers.

Comment

A good thing, if for no other reason than to prevent (or at least delay) systemd becoming a defacto standard.

Comment

not sure which is more over-hyped... systemd or wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            not sure which is more over-hyped... systemd or wayland.
            not sure who cares about your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              not sure who cares about your opinion.
              i care... and i'm so important

Comment

If it isn't broken,

don't fix it. I prefer Upstart from a KISS standpoint. Also, monocultures are never a good thing. So kudos to Ubuntu.

Comment

Not a bad decision

because Upstart isn't really a problem. I'd rather Ubuntu focused their manpower on bigger issues, and leave their init system alone while it is in reasonable shape.

I suspect they'll eventually need to move over to systemD but there's no reason to do so right now.

Comment

Hopefully they don't walk away from the concept of having a service that does one thing well to a service that does everything poorly. The scope looks to be expanding a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X