Unity 2D To Go Away In Ubuntu 12.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post

OK, I'm done preaching. Just wanted to make that clear.
    Indeed. The point of my post was that anyone (you, me, Michael) could spend 5 minutes on a line and make it much better. Anyone else could spend 10 minutes on it and make it even better yet. While I don't expect Michael to spend 5 minutes per sentence, these latest articles look like stream-of-consciousness commentary, and would be improved upon by a second or third revision. Commentary is for blogs and forums. "This" (what I am doing now) is commentary.

To parody that article:
    I'd like to see less bad commentary, and more quality articles.

F

Comment

Personally, I prefer the succinctness and flow of just saying it's bad for gaming but good enough for a composited desktop compared to some lengthier but possibly more precise wording.

Anyway... I just hope they don't decide this is a good excuse to rip out the fallback. They can do what they want with Unity. Actually though this does seem like a reasonable decision, I had assumed Unity2D was a Unity fork (which may not be too bad to keep in sync) when in fact it's a from-scratch rewrite that behaves like the current Unity (but may be completely different internally, so keeping it in feature parity with Unity could be difficult.) So as long as llvmpipe is fast enough, good deal.

Unrelated comment, I noticed the excessive CPU usage as well, in a VirtualBox VM with either 11.10 (when it was using Unity) and 12.04 (Unity) -- I suppose it falls back to Unity2D -- the VM will just be burning up cycles while the system is doing absolutely nothing. With the fallback desktop, this CPU usage doens't occur (Kudos to whoever did the finishing touches to make the fallback go from looking awful in 11.04 to acceptable in 12.04...). I have the feeling some code might be running a polling loop instead of waiting for an interrupt, signal, or what have you with Unity.
      Last edited by hwertz; 08 May 2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hwertz View Post
        Personally, I prefer the succinctness and flow of just saying it's bad for gaming but good enough for a composited desktop compared to some lengthier but possibly more precise wording.
        I concede that succinct and less "wordy" is often a positive thing. If anything, I tend to overdue it with the thesaurus in drafts 2 and 3, and cut out the meaningless/wordy dribble in drafts 4 and 5. I'm fairly certain I qualify as one of the worst writers subscribed to these forums (second to Qar). My greatest literary shortcoming appears to be my overuse of (and reliance on) parenthesis.

I disagree that the flow and clarity of this particular sentence (picked as an example of many similar sentences in the latest articles) is easily readable and unambiguous.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
          Asking from my own experience, have you considered an editor?
          Sure, are you interested in financing or contributing then?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

NVM (Character limits)

Comment

GNOME classic is a great fallback

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Comment

This is bad.

The last time I checked (12.04 beta), the accelerated version of Unity had a major impact on gaming performance and some annoying glitches not found in the 2D version of Unity. If they're looking to get rid of the 2d unity they should at least pay a lot of attention to the performance and stability of its big brother.

This is especially important as we're about to see some AAA titles land in Linux and there's going to be a lot of gamers trying out Linux for the first time (Ubuntu 12.10 or 13.04) when Steam comes out.

When starting a game, the desktop ahould go into a non-accelerated mode.

If there's no-one at the Ubuntu summit to point this out and all the development effort gets focused on adding new fancy huds and lenses, I'm going to feel frustrated...

Comment

One of the most interesting items from the notes was "unity-2d will go away anyway, so -3d/compiz already require 3D." I've heard talk of tthis to basically do away with Unity 2D and focus all efforts on a single, unified Unity implementation.
                  Will they use Unity 3D in phones, tv's now?

Comment

How about multimonitor setups?
                    I have encountered a 2048x2048 pixel limit on my i945 powered laptop for 3d acceleration, which forced me to use unity 2d when having a second monitor attached. So this probably needs to get "fixed" - or worked around. And as someone mentioned before: the top panel does not always behave nicely when using wine in fullscreen mode... (same thing for special keys and shortcuts in games)

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                      Good, it's time to move forward and embrace the future. When is Unity going to be working 100% with Wayland?
                      You are contradicting yourself.
                      Is it good or is it time to embrace the future and Wayland?

Despite the ?2D? name, Qt-based software is obviously capable of everything fancy. In fact, as you could read in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5ODc Qt is better suited for Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X