Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 7: Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Loses On Linux

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 7: Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Loses On Linux

Here's a comparison of the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS versus Microsoft Windows 7 performance when it comes to using Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors with integrated graphics. While the Sandy Bridge graphics performance was once faster when it came to OpenGL with the open-source Linux driver, that's no longer the case. The Linux OpenGL performance for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge hardware is now slower in most GL workloads than Intel's Windows 7 x64 driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17314

• dacool
    replied
    Poor performance on Intel? 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2

It seems that the poor performance in Ubuntu is caused by this bug: Poor performance on Intel? 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2? If anyone else is experiencing the same issue please go and vote for it as shown here: how to vote (you have to be logged in). Hopefully it will get fixed sooner.

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    Thanks I did not know it

Thanks a lot,

I have just discovered this method, after being happy with the Sabayon 1000 Hz kernel and looking an easy way of having it at ubuntu. I did not know this.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Then use the metapackage name as well: linux-headers-lowlatency

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    with the metapackage there are a warning

I installed the metapackage alone at first and I had a warning asking for isntall headers, then I removed it ,and did it this way and there was no warnings, the update-grup is done, twice, as you say, this way, but I do like to be sure all is ok, and i can read the output - and be sure all will be ok when i will reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Usually update-grub is called via hook, no manual execution needed. also it sounds a bit strange to install a specific headers package when you install the kernel via a meta package.

Leave a comment:

• mitcoes
    replied
    test ubuntu with its lowlatency kernel too - it is at repos -

http://mitcoes.blogspot.com.es/2012/...in-kernel.html

As easy as this, and test the both kernels, not only the 100 Hz one.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.2.0-23-lowlatency
    sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency
    sudo update-grub

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Isn't Unity just compiz?

We'll see when Michael posts the nvidia benchmarks. If there's a dramatic difference from Windows, then it's probably a DE thing.

Leave a comment:

• gerrywastaken
    replied
    Unity 15-20fps ... Metacity 95-105fps

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Wasn't Unity one of the worst performers of all DEs, including KDE?
    I play quakelive a lot. On fullscreen (when I'm not even able to interact with the DE) in 12.04 Unity I get an unplayable 15-20 frames per second. A simple "metacity --replace &" and I'm running at 95-105fps or higher at times.

I like the look of unity but it kills fps on games for me. I don't know why it needs to be consuming so much when I'm in a fullscreen app, while Metacity doesn't. Hell even if they automatically switched to Metacity for fullscreen games and then back to Unity when exiting fullscreen, but it seems strange that such a thing would be necessary.
    Last edited by gerrywastaken; 05-04-2012, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    The most interesting point in win tests on ivb is that the opengl version is NOT 4.x but 3.x. But ivb is DX11 compatible, that means that the intel win developers are not really good at opengl... at least they can beat the linux team

Leave a comment:

Working...
X