X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Perhaps these results would be more encouraging if the results from last year were shown. Also, I'd like to have seen something other than Ubuntu performing the tests. Wasn't Unity one of the worst performers of all DEs, including KDE?
    Most of the recent Linux users who switched over approximately 3 years ago or earlier are very likely to be using these heavyweight + feature-heavy DEs, and not lightweight / minimalist DEs such as LXDE or XFCE, or even barebones window managers such as OpenBox, TWM, Fluxbox etc etc.

Benching on heavy DEs such as Gnome 3, Unity and KDE 4 will offer the closest 'real-world scenario' results as opposed to doing the tests on a minimalist window manager. People want to see how much they can expect from Linux under a typical desktop load that consists of a flashy DE with compositing enabled, and not some 'best-case scenario' where everything is done off an unaccelerated window manager.

Same reason why power users and enthusiasts in Windows run those ridiculously heavy benching tools such as PCMark, 3DMark, FurMark etc etc with full Windows Aero effects enabled instead of falling back to the simple Win 2000-style Classic theme.

Leave a comment:

• Tgui
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Perhaps these results would be more encouraging if the results from last year were shown. Also, I'd like to have seen something other than Ubuntu performing the tests. Wasn't Unity one of the worst performers of all DEs, including KDE?
    Good points made.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    The Intel OTC developers are certainly interested in improving the situation, and I have already gotten them eloped with Valve.
    Well, that's good news.

Leave a comment:

• Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 7: Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Loses On Linux

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 7: Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge Loses On Linux

Here's a comparison of the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS versus Microsoft Windows 7 performance when it comes to using Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors with integrated graphics. While the Sandy Bridge graphics performance was once faster when it came to OpenGL with the open-source Linux driver, that's no longer the case. The Linux OpenGL performance for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge hardware is now slower in most GL workloads than Intel's Windows 7 x64 driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17314
Working...
X