No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 12.10 Codenamed The "Quantal Quetzal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll give them a break this time. There aren't a huge number of animals starting with 'Q' that have simple names. I think I'll remember Quantal better than Oneiric anyway (though no as well as Precise obviously). It's easier to spell and easier to pronounce (which makes it easier to remember the spelling too), so it will help me avoid...

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    ...technical errors, failed bzr branch commands, 404s in your apt repositories, and so on...
    Oneiric Ocelot is a tongue twister by comparison.

Comment

All you need to know is the first part anyway as thats the name of the repository. When i first googled quetzal my impression was that U has got a bird now, well in german language it sounds even more funny

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        Wow, respect. This is interesting. Maybe you can remember because you are a native english speaker? Are you? I am not, so I do not even know the meaning of most of the words...
        Maybe that is the reason for the dominance of numbers in versions - they are so international...
        Nope, I'm Lithuanian, English is my second language. Although I usually do make a habit of finding out what the names mean if I don't know them. Oh, and I hate everything about maths, so that could be somewhat related

Comment

i also remember

hardy
          intrepid
          jaunty
          karmic
          maveric
          natty [best]
          oneiric [worst ubuntu ever]
          precise
          quantal

thats what you have to look in repo to add matched packages to system.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Warty Warthog. Breezy Badger. Jaunty Jackalope. Karmic Koala. Lucid Lynx. Maverick Meerkat. Natty Narwhal. Oneiric Ocelot. Precise Pangolin. I also remember Edgy, though not what the animal was about right now... And all of those associate with the specific circumstances of their release. The numbers say nothing to me, especially since it's quite similar to other distributions, like Mandriva and openSUSE... And I never even used Ubuntu as my primary distribution.
            You forgot Feisty Fawn

Comment

And also Gutsy Gibon ! My first full-time desktop Linux (after switch from windows).

Comment

Working...
              X