Fedora 18 Might Be A Frankfurter Or Spherical Cow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
    Picking a codename is the best part of a project. At work I'm currently part of projects codenamed "spicy sausage" and "magic banana". They have absolutely no connection to the work involved, but are much more interesting than, say, "data visualisation version 2".
    Indeed. To me, "12.04" means nothing, it's the same as "11.04" and "10.04". Two numbers separated by a dot. "Precise Pangolin" means a lot more - it's something memorable, and still shows clearly that it's a later release than the previous ones. "Beefy miracle" is also memorable, although I don't think I remember a whole lot of their earlier codenames. I recall "Leonidas", since it's also a Lithuanian name, but not much other than that... I guess they are just not used very often, people still tend to say "Fedora XX" instead of using the codenames.

Comment

The Fedora codename leads to some themes for artwork which may affect the default wallpaper. Fortunately wallpapers from past releases remain available in the package repository if you don't care for the new one. Beefy Miracle so far just has some fairly generic fireworks wallpaper. If nothing else, you get to learn how to set a system default the dconf way.

Comment

Embarrassing.

Comment

???

Is "Spherical Cow" a reference to the old thermodynamics exam question?

Or maybe it's "abominable", which is obviously followed by "noble"

When I see people complain about PulseAudio, I imagine they also complain about the weather and the number of hours in the day.

And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
            And also what a complex bit of analysis, to determine that the PulseAudio devlopment process is bottlenecked by the Fedora naming process. I'd really like to see the reasoning that went into that.
            Is it even still being developed? Haven't seen a new version for months.
            Not that it really matters to me though, it has never failed me once
            during the last 2 years I've been using it.

Comment

One of the proposed codenames, Pamukkale ("cotton castle"), is a Unesco World Heritage Site in Turkey, consisting of travertines and springs. Sounds better than "Spherical Cow" I guess...

Comment

Working...
              X