X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by krazy View Post
    The whole point of graphing results is to allow easy visual comparison. If the quantities are not actually comparable, then the chart is useless.

It's the equivalent of comparing the speed of two people by putting one on a bicycle and one on a motorcycle. Does it tell you which person is fastest? Yes, the one on the motorcycle obviously. Is that useful? Of course not!
    What is being compared is the desktop environments and as part of the desktop environment is the settings that the desktop environment developers decide to make as their defaults and window manager selection, that's part of their project. As said, each desktop was tested in their default/stock conditions. Your analogy would apply if this article was just exclusively looking at comparing window manager settings but what's being tested here is the stock desktop.

Leave a comment:

• krazy
    replied
    Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
    Do you understand what "default settings" means?
    Do you understand what apples-to-oranges means?

The whole point of graphing results is to allow easy visual comparison. If the quantities are not actually comparable, then the chart is useless.

It's the equivalent of comparing the speed of two people by putting one on a bicycle and one on a motorcycle. Does it tell you which person is fastest? Yes, the one on the motorcycle obviously. Is that useful? Of course not!

Leave a comment:

• bachinchi
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes, it was explained many times, but Phoronix doesn't care.
    Do you understand what "default settings" means?

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    It will improve input latency, and most games should run. As to output, I'd like to know the exact numbers too. +1
    No doubt. In my experience, I found that I had to start the game with a WM, configure the game's options (fullscreen, resolution), exit the game, shutdown X, add the game to my xsession, and xinit.

Problems occurred when I would attempt to change resolution (in game) or switch from windowed to fullscreen mode. A number of games had mouse issues.

I'll see if I can install U12.04 on some real hardware and see what happens with a uengine demo.

F

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by krazy View Post
    Rather than just noting the capability, it would have been useful to benchmark KDE with unredirected fullscreen windows. Otherwise the numbers aren't useful - it's apples-to-oranges..
    Yes, it was explained many times, but Phoronix doesn't care.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by russofris View Post
    I'm almost as curious to see a "no wm" reference score, though I do not know if most of the apps will run without one.
    It will improve input latency, and most games should run. As to output, I'd like to know the exact numbers too. +1

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Why don't you use Highcharts instead of using your own solution? afaik it's free and does client-side rendering, it interacts with the mouse, looks professional and is much more handy, works in all browsers etc.
    I've commented on the many reasons before in other threads.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Patches welcome to improve the color selecting algorithm... I guess there's limitations to the latest algorithm that was submitted by a Phoronix reader. Those interested can look inside pts-core/objects/pts_Graph/pts_Graph.php.
    Why don't you use Highcharts instead of using your own solution? afaik it's free and does client-side rendering, it interacts with the mouse, looks professional and is much more handy, works in all browsers etc.

Leave a comment:

• krazy
    replied
    Rather than just noting the capability, it would have been useful to benchmark KDE with unredirected fullscreen windows. Otherwise the numbers aren't useful - it's apples-to-oranges..

Leave a comment:

• russofris
    replied
    Originally posted by goretrade View Post
    I'm just curious about it, since I never saw tests using really tiny wm or without it
    I'm almost as curious to see a "no wm" reference score, though I do not know if most of the apps will run without one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X