Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 Desktops Impact Performance, Power Consumption

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 Desktops Impact Performance, Power Consumption

How does the choice of desktop environments you make for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS impact your system's performance and power consumption? Here's the latest round of benchmarking from the various Ubuntu 12.04 desktop environment choices -- Unity, Unity 2D, GNOME Shell, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, and Openbox -- when running them on three different laptops.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For Christ's sake please use different colors. I have to try really hard to detect which is which: Xfce vs Gnome Shell vs LXDE:

Comment

I agree with the previous comment.

4 shades of blue, no orange, no pink, no grey...

Comment

Patches welcome to improve the color selecting algorithm... I guess there's limitations to the latest algorithm that was submitted by a Phoronix reader. Those interested can look inside pts-core/objects/pts_Graph/pts_Graph.php.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

evilwm, twm and without wm (aka "naked xorg" )

I'm just curious about it, since I never saw tests using really tiny wm or without it

Comment

Originally posted by goretrade View Post
            I'm just curious about it, since I never saw tests using really tiny wm or without it
            I'm almost as curious to see a "no wm" reference score, though I do not know if most of the apps will run without one.

Comment

Rather than just noting the capability, it would have been useful to benchmark KDE with unredirected fullscreen windows. Otherwise the numbers aren't useful - it's apples-to-oranges..

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Patches welcome to improve the color selecting algorithm... I guess there's limitations to the latest algorithm that was submitted by a Phoronix reader. Those interested can look inside pts-core/objects/pts_Graph/pts_Graph.php.
                Why don't you use Highcharts instead of using your own solution? afaik it's free and does client-side rendering, it interacts with the mouse, looks professional and is much more handy, works in all browsers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Why don't you use Highcharts instead of using your own solution? afaik it's free and does client-side rendering, it interacts with the mouse, looks professional and is much more handy, works in all browsers etc.
                  I've commented on the many reasons before in other threads.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    I'm almost as curious to see a "no wm" reference score, though I do not know if most of the apps will run without one.
                    It will improve input latency, and most games should run. As to output, I'd like to know the exact numbers too. +1

Comment

Working...
                    X