Ubuntu 12.04 Desktops Impact Performance, Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazy View Post
    Rather than just noting the capability, it would have been useful to benchmark KDE with unredirected fullscreen windows. Otherwise the numbers aren't useful - it's apples-to-oranges..
    Yes, it was explained many times, but Phoronix doesn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      It will improve input latency, and most games should run. As to output, I'd like to know the exact numbers too. +1
      No doubt. In my experience, I found that I had to start the game with a WM, configure the game's options (fullscreen, resolution), exit the game, shutdown X, add the game to my xsession, and xinit.

Problems occurred when I would attempt to change resolution (in game) or switch from windowed to fullscreen mode. A number of games had mouse issues.

I'll see if I can install U12.04 on some real hardware and see what happens with a uengine demo.

F

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Yes, it was explained many times, but Phoronix doesn't care.
        Do you understand what "default settings" means?

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
          Do you understand what apples-to-oranges means?

The whole point of graphing results is to allow easy visual comparison. If the quantities are not actually comparable, then the chart is useless.

It's the equivalent of comparing the speed of two people by putting one on a bicycle and one on a motorcycle. Does it tell you which person is fastest? Yes, the one on the motorcycle obviously. Is that useful? Of course not!

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
            The whole point of graphing results is to allow easy visual comparison. If the quantities are not actually comparable, then the chart is useless.

It's the equivalent of comparing the speed of two people by putting one on a bicycle and one on a motorcycle. Does it tell you which person is fastest? Yes, the one on the motorcycle obviously. Is that useful? Of course not!
            What is being compared is the desktop environments and as part of the desktop environment is the settings that the desktop environment developers decide to make as their defaults and window manager selection, that's part of their project. As said, each desktop was tested in their default/stock conditions. Your analogy would apply if this article was just exclusively looking at comparing window manager settings but what's being tested here is the stock desktop.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              ...what's being tested here is the stock desktop.
              Hi Michael, yes, I understand that and I still think my analogy applies. Putting two fundamentally incomparable numbers on the same graph is not very useful.

IMHO it would be far more accurate to compare the desktops which don't redirect fullscreen on one graph, and those that do on another. Otherwise articles like this invite simplistic conclusions such as "Unity and KDE are slow", when this may not be necessarily true (though of course, maybe it is!).

BTW.. please take this as constructive criticism.. I'm glad Phoronix exists to produce these kinds of benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
                Michael said once he ca adjust default if there are options that allows to do this easily. There's such option in KDE.
                Last edited by kraftman; 12 April 2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  What is being compared is the desktop environments and as part of the desktop environment is the settings that the desktop environment developers decide to make as their defaults and window manager selection, that's part of their project. As said, each desktop was tested in their default/stock conditions. Your analogy would apply if this article was just exclusively looking at comparing window manager settings but what's being tested here is the stock desktop.
                  I didn't know it's so hard to make one test extra with modified option.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I didn't know it's so hard to make one test extra with modified option.
                    I save extra/non-default tests for extra articles.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How about people make suggestions on improvements?

I have a good idea. How about everyone makes suggestions on improvements and then post your results using the same testing tools that phoronix provides.

Comment

Working...
                      X