Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Gets New Backer, Parting Ways With Canonical

Phoronix: Kubuntu Gets New Backer, Parting Ways With Canonical

While some KDE users running Kubuntu were concerned following Canonical's decision to drop support for Kubuntu following the 12.04 LTS release, there's a new backer of the Kubuntu project outside of Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to here. I use Kubuntu for Now almost 3 year(Ubuntu and Linux for 5 years) and like KDE much much more then Gnome 2/3/Unity or others. Hope this decision will bring good to Kubuntu.

Comment

What exactly does Blue Systems do? I've Googled them briefly and found 2 Blue Systems and the relavent one's website didn't mention any business, just links to projects that they sponsored.

Comment

Great news. Kubuntu can exist as a community driven distribution, but it's great it will be sponsored by some company.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
          What exactly does Blue Systems do? I've Googled them briefly and found 2 Blue Systems and the relavent one's website didn't mention any business, just links to projects that they sponsored.
          It seems to be or have been a computer shop & IT services company, that also does programming jobs (at least, that's what they registered as). The company seems to be owned by the leader(?) of the Netrunner OS project (which is based on Kubuntu).

(And there are also at least two other companies registered at the same address.)

Comment

kubuntu wasn't exactly a polished distro. it was thrown together. coupled with the clusterfuck nature of kde4, it was a rough combo.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              kubuntu wasn't exactly a polished distro. it was thrown together. coupled with the clusterfuck nature of kde4, it was a rough combo.
              It's much different now and it's no longer "thrown together" if you're using base packages. Overall, thanks to solid Ubuntu base it's now much more polished than anything else I've ever tried. Canonical does QA and has test farms running, so Ubuntu and Kubuntu will be better and better.

Comment

Well, I found that Mint KDE edition was just hordes more polished and less likely to bork on any systems I tried.

On the Acer Eee-book Happy I have (a regular 10" netbook with single core atom, 1GiB ram, 250GB disk), Ubuntu was randomly sluggish, and generally unusable. Kubuntu ran better, but integration stuff felt very incomplete. But Mint KDE edition ran smoothly, and perfectly. Very smoothly infact!

It is odd, that the "Heavyweight" KDE ended up running the fastest on such a weak machine.

Hearing that Kubuntu is now going to be working with the same group as Mint KDE, only good things can come from this :-)

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  It wasn't just thrown together, it was actually worse than a default fresh install of KDE. They kept trying to integrate various Ubuntu apps/processes/features into it, and the result was always buggy.

Comment

It's great news.

I'm glad to hear Johnathan Riddell will be continuing his work on Kubuntu. Not that I know him, but have been aware of the tremendous amount of work he puts into Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X