Kubuntu Gets New Backer, Parting Ways With Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    It wasn't just thrown together, it was actually worse than a default fresh install of KDE. They kept trying to integrate various Ubuntu apps/processes/features into it, and the result was always buggy.
    Really, from what I hear the Kubuntu devs always try to upstream any changes they make and won't even dare to brand their KDE desktop. What Ubuntu apps are you speaking of because Kubuntu never came with Ubuntu One's cloud storage or music services? Does Canonical have other services? I'm just wondering what Kubuntu has that other distros such as OpenSuse or Fedora leave out! The only thing I can thing of is the Graphical Apt Manager, Muon.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
      Really, from what I hear the Kubuntu devs always try to upstream any changes they make and won't even dare to brand their KDE desktop. What Ubuntu apps are you speaking of because Kubuntu never came with Ubuntu One's cloud storage or music services? Does Canonical have other services? I'm just wondering what Kubuntu has that other distros such as OpenSuse or Fedora leave out! The only thing I can thing of is the Graphical Apt Manager, Muon.
      I'm talking about the infamous translation fiasco, for starters. KDE translations were quite good, but Kubuntu was forced into using the Ubuntu system which was completely broken.

Most of the issues were ironed out in recent years, but there was a real problem for a while.

Comment

It wasn't just thrown together, it was actually worse than a default fresh install of KDE. They kept trying to integrate various Ubuntu apps/processes/features into it, and the result was always buggy.
        I imagine this could be due to both them and Canonical wanting a common base installation. Reasons could be maintenance load and easening troubleshooting.

With that follows that there's a lot of extra stuff that doesn't interface well/at all with KDE (eg apport, ibus) but is mandated by Canonical to be installed by default. Moreover Ubuntu isn't a slim distro by any standards, and I wager the Kubuntu council doesn't have *that* much say about what non-graphical base system packages get installed when you install from a live image. Enabling installation of recommended packages by default certainly doesn't help keeping the load light either.

Distancing themselves from Canonical should free their hands a bit.

I'm talking about the infamous translation fiasco, for starters. KDE translations were quite good, but Kubuntu was forced into using the Ubuntu system which was completely broken.
        A good example. If memory serves (source eludes me), Canonical more-or-less demanded that KDE apps in Kubuntu should file their bugs to launchpad rather than upstream, but the Kubuntu council was apparently adamant enough to keep them routing to bugs.kde.org.

Comment

Working...
        X