Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - Benchmarking All The Linux File-Systems

When running Linux file-system benchmarks at Phoronix it is most often a comparison of EXT4 vs. Btrfs, since they are the "hot" Linux file-systems at the moment. Sometimes others like ZFS, Reiser4, and XFS also join the party. In this article is a look at all of the Linux file-systems with install-time support under the forthcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. When carrying out clean installations each time with changing out the root file-system and using the default mount options, ReiserFS, JFS, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs, and XFS are all being compared in this article.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

skewed charts

the FS that do not support fsync on some benches should be removed from the final chart as they do nothing except skew the charts and mar the chart scale.

AFAIK, ubuntu 11.10 can not boot from a btrfs partition without having the /boot on a ext2/3/4 partition.

Also, for future BTRFS articles, can you give a small tutorial on how to set up a btrfs compressed partition during install? i am a linux noob and cant find any good tutorial for this.
    Last edited by mayankleoboy1; 16 March 2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Nice test. Please test the same on a traditional HDD, that would offer a much more complete image, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Nice test. Please test the same on a traditional HDD, that would offer a much more complete image, I think.
        Yes agreed entirely. I haven't found any reason yet to go SSD, I prefer the extra storage and don't like the extra cost. That and linux is much friendlier on disk access than windows is.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
          Yes agreed entirely. I haven't found any reason yet to go SSD, I prefer the extra storage and don't like the extra cost. That and linux is much friendlier on disk access than windows is.
          I took the leap when Intel released a (relatively) cheap 40GB SSD, never looked back since. The difference in remarkable. The damn thing boots so quick you don't see the ubuntu splash screen. Put a big hard disk in for storage (or shove it on the network in a cupboard).

And my SSDs not even "fast" any more, there's disks out there that do small random writes at a quarter gig a second.

Just remember to learn how to align your partitions and choose your fstab options correctly (link), as all that stuff doesn't work automatically yet and it makes a huge difference in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
            I bought a SSD in 2010. Once you go there, you can't go back.

Of course only for the system/applications/games. I have 2TB hard drives for storage.

Comment

MLC vs SLC

Yes, there are "cheap" SSD disks nowadays, but they use MLC chips, that are slower and have a short life (short number or writes before fail). In 2 or 3 years you could have problems with a SSD MLC disk. SLC have a much longer life (large number or writes before fail) and are a lot quicker, but they are much more costly per Gb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_cell

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                I bought a SSD in 2010. Once you go there, you can't go back.

Of course only for the system/applications/games. I have 2TB hard drives for storage.
                True, but what I was hinting at, is that the best FS for SSD might not be the best for HDD as well. So you might need to mix and match, if Michael is kind enough to provide us with the data.

Comment

Software Raid Testing?

Future mount option testing is good but testing of software raid 5/6 md5 w/ ext4 vs the Btrfs code (contributed by Intel(?)) would be great. I recall a several year old balanced server IDF topic in which an Intel guy noted that md5 software raid 5 requires lots of memory bandwidth. Did they do better?

Comment

Originally posted by dealcorn View Post
                    Future mount option testing is good but testing of software raid 5/6 md5 w/ ext4 vs the Btrfs code (contributed by Intel(?)) would be great. I recall a several year old balanced server IDF topic in which an Intel guy noted that md5 software raid 5 requires lots of memory bandwidth. Did they do better?
                    Raid is not something you'd want to do with SSDs. You lose TRIM.

Comment

Working...
                    X