Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARM On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Battling Intel x86?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clavko View Post
    Android is not upgradeable. That wouldn't be in best interest of OEMs which have to
    sell new products with new features. So Google says: 'OK, well just play innocent here',
    however, Microsoft is the guy with extra balls that says: 'No, you'll have to sign these drivers.',
    'No, you'll have to pass through WHQL process', 'No, your hardware will have to be better'.
    That's quality assurance. Thats support. And people will get that with Win 8, I think.

And if Android is 'upgradeable', where is the downloadable 'usb' image installer? Because
    I'd like to install ICS on my phone and tablet. Guess what. I can't. Not very easy, at least.

And another thing. If there were viruses (virii?) for linux/android, you think you'd know that?
    When you 'root' it, you give your rights to an app. SuperUser.apk. And that app can silently
    give it to anyone. Or sell it. Or not.
    android is upgradable, but not every manufacturer cares to do it as soon as others, or even at all. for those who don't ever upgrade, you might as well root the device.

as for your comment about MS's "quality assurance", they wouldn't have to do that if they did a better job at making the OS. Win 8 wouldn't need hardware to be better than what's out today if the OS were designed better (there are new ARM based devices to be released that are completely incompatible with Win 8 - that is entirely MS's fault). Win 8 wouldn't need hardware security features if it weren't threatened by the more mature android and linux. These are illusions of quality assurance, but in the end it's just laziness and to some degree, anticompetition. MS has the money to pay companies to just do the things that they don't feel like fixing. That's probably why MS never got into an entire software suite like apple did with iLife.

Comment

And if Android is 'upgradeable', where is the downloadable 'usb' image installer? Because
      I'd like to install ICS on my phone and tablet. Guess what. I can't. Not very easy, at least.

And another thing. If there were viruses (virii?) for linux/android, you think you'd know that?
      When you 'root' it, you give your rights to an app. SuperUser.apk. And that app can silently

1.)my lg gt540 is running ics 4.0.3 -- google cyanogen these guys are very nice if you wait for LG/etc to do it you will die first

2.)ios android and win7.5 phone can be rooted, you point? (put win7/ios/android jailbreak in youtube there are even tutorials) but as a power user i follow closely the processes in my phone using the linux side of android which is not so easy on ios and win phone + i avoid google some LOL russian site offering me an apk package to download, use the market and read carefully what you will install and 99% of a rooted phone problems are gone, turn off blutooth in public places, write in your SD content scanned for viruses or better from your linux WS, etc.

Comment

well im a C++ dev very experienced in linux and other unix variants and i can say for sure i can detect when my phone is doing something i didnt allow and proceed to backtrack the issue, in android as in linux forensic arent space science but you can say the same about a mac expert not sure about microsoft since they security concept is horrible and winmo never have included tools for forensics but should be doable with 3rd party apps.

now if you are a mere mortal phone user it doesnt matter if you have skynet in your phone, you wont know your phone is penetrated even if jesus itself come down and facepalm you against a wall, so this point is irrelevant, you phone is doing weirdy things or you exceeded your data plan too fast for your average monthly use then turn off phone take sim off and go to support service

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          ios android and win7.5 phone can be rooted, you point?
          I'll probably go CM, or even cook my own
          I don't have problems with adb shell and screwing around.
          However, I might not have time for such shenanigans next
          time I buy another phone/tablet.

My point is that iOS or winPhone have features that I consider
          being common sense. Android devs apparently think it's either
          'buy a new phone with ICS or later', or 'find and buy an app'.
          Features missing are the only reason I'd need Android root.
          On the other hand, a reasonably featured (polished) OS wouldn't
          need to be rooted or upgraded in the first place. Just sayin'...

Comment

My point is that iOS or winPhone have features that I consider
            being common sense. Android devs apparently think it's either
            'buy a new phone with ICS or later', or 'find and buy an app'.
            Features missing are the only reason I'd need Android root.
            On the other hand, a reasonably featured (polished) OS wouldn't
            need to be rooted or upgraded in the first place. Just sayin'...
            well powerusers will root them anyway to get access to nice low levels os functions and experimentation

1.) you are right a normal user should not need to root the phone but is here is more to blame the carrier and the manufacturer, for example LG originally removed android original skin and put theirs(horrible btw), removed google market and lots of apps and put theirs(slow buggy and useless)once i switched to cyanogen i can say standard google android is very nice out of the box and stable unlike lg firmware and the carrier crapwere

2.) all oses need the upgrade path cuz technology isnt passive, so everyday new stuff come and improve the system in many task so is needed. is just carriers that make it hellish to do so you are forced to buy the next phone

in this sense apple is the king cuz apple is his own manufacturer and they have very nice aggrement with carrier so only apple can modify IOS not the carriers, windows and android are the other side of the coin they depend on carriers to do the heavy lifting to sell phones(maybe this can change once google have control of motorola) and so the carrier is the one putting the conditions of the table and if you wanna AT&T to sell you X brand cell phone you have to do what they say, is sad but true

Comment

So you have ICS on Optimus, that's nice. Perhaps my OT990 will also
              be able to use it. And the thing is, I'll tear that little phone apart tinkering
              and fooling around. And in the meantime, I might use my old Symbian N70.
              Because that's what phone should behave like

Comment

I think that there is a problem with the test profiles for x86 cpus. gcc does not generate SSE code w/o -mfpmath flag set to SSE. So in 32-bit linux system the x87 code path is used by default. I tested netbook with atom N455 in Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and the result in c-ray is around 650 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by atom01 View Post
                  I think that there is a problem with the test profiles for x86 cpus. gcc does not generate SSE code w/o -mfpmath flag set to SSE. So in 32-bit linux system the x87 code path is used by default. I tested netbook with atom N455 in Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and the result in c-ray is around 650 seconds.
                  Very interesting. This basically nullifies this review.

Comment

"On the power consumption front, ARM wins."

I'd love to see numbers to justify/quantify that statement.
                    A Performance/Watt graph would be excellent. Or even just a simple idle/load reading from a kill-a-watt meter.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      dunno if you are trolling or you are some of those passive payed microsoft advertisers

1.) android is upgradeable like IOS and like win8 will be(prolly but doubt it), is the manufacturer who see no benefit in upgrading since that old phone dont give them more money or the carriers.

2.)win8 will deliver, im hearing that since winmo 6 LOL

3.)i give 3 days before the first antivirus company urge you to buy the their latest protection to portect you win8 phone for the first thousand viruses and exploits.

4.) android is not insecure or half baked by default, carriers ask them to incorporate all that useless apps, customs market apps, more relaxed security settings,etc so they win some money for the useless apps and save lots of money in support. use google there are many ways to make your phone more secure or better grab the source and do the magic
                      Although android isn't BAD security wise, they sure could've made some smarter decisions.
                      Aslr was only added in ics. They don't seem to be using anything other than standard process isolation via cgroups and vm. NSA made an interesting release back in jan where they tacked on the beginnings of selinux into aosp. Even with the partial inplementation it prevented escalation of all the famous malware in the android market. Frankly, i don't know why goog hasnt used selinux before. Its scheme shoul dwork quite well with an embedded os. Additionally, using selinux might enable users to select what policy to apply to each app. That is, if you want app X, which says it needs to use your address bok, you could deny that particular access, but still install the app with the understanding it may not work without actually having that access.

Btw, goog has now bought motorla. So, they are now manufacturers.
                      Last edited by liam; 18 February 2012, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X