Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
    Not true.
    Read the chat logs (note I actually was present in this meeting) ... the whole discussion was about making it in time for the feature freeze (i.e today) after that F17 gets branched off and new stuff (like switching the default filesystem) will only be allowed in rawhide (the quote in the article might suggested something else but it was taken out of context).
    in the article it said

"If these Btrfs bugs are worked out by the alpha release in about two weeks -- along with the expected premiere of the new Btrfs fsck -- and Btrfs flipped on within the Anaconda installer, we will have this next-generation open-source file-system as the default in Fedora 17. If it doesn't happen for the "Beefy Miracle" release, it should definitely be a good candidate for Fedora 18 considering the remaining open issues have been"

soo i dont know what to think

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
      in the article it said

"If these Btrfs bugs are worked out by the alpha release in about two weeks -- along with the expected premiere of the new Btrfs fsck -- and Btrfs flipped on within the Anaconda installer, we will have this next-generation open-source file-system as the default in Fedora 17. If it doesn't happen for the "Beefy Miracle" release, it should definitely be a good candidate for Fedora 18 considering the remaining open issues have been"

soo i dont know what to think
      That is just wrong (no that uncommon on this site ...)

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?

Why not just get rid of the old system and have:
        /system
        ----/bin
        ----/lib
        ----/sbin
        ----you guys get the idea...
        /config (instead of /etc)
        /user (instead of /home)

I'm just wondering why some say that the traditional Unix file heirachy is outdated (even though I agree with with that statement) but still want to use the same non-descriptive terms!
        Originally posted by drago01 View Post
        Because that would violate the FHS.
        There is always the possibility to release FHS 3.0 with reasonable names. Just because FHS form 2004 still has meaningless names as standard doesn't it has to be like that forever.

BTW, getting rid of the /bin and /sbin dirs will require a new FHS version as well, so if it makes sense to reorganize other paths why not?

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
          If Fedora is just going to symlink things together, why can't they go step farther and symlink /usr to the actual folder "/system"? Why keep the "usr" in the first place? "usr" doesn't even come close to describe what the folder is actually used for? You know... because "usr" looks like "user" (but user settings is saved at "/home". Wouldn't that make things more simpler to unserstand?

Why not just get rid of the old system and have:
          /system
          ----/bin
          ----/lib
          ----/sbin
          ----you guys get the idea...
          /config (instead of /etc)
          /user (instead of /home)

I'm just wondering why some say that the traditional Unix file heirachy is outdated (even though I agree with with that statement) but still want to use the same non-descriptive terms!
          usr!=user
          usr = unix system resources

Comment

Seems that btrfs for Fedora is dropped again, now wait for Fedora 18. The reason: anaconda.

Comment

Working...
            X