X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Yeah, that's so true, but it's not that bad in Linux, because wine allows you to even play in Skyrim.
    I tried to run Skyrim, but it's missing DLL hell. I wasn't able to run it.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    There, fixed.
    Yeah, that's so true, but it's not that bad in Linux, because wine allows you to even play in Skyrim.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    There's nothing appealing in Windows except some games.
    There, fixed.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by siride View Post
    Probably correct. Professionals will use Windows and immature hobbyists will be Linux zealots.
    So sad windows is so unprofessional, but if it serves as a development platform for other operating systems then I shouldn't be surprised. Btw. Kubuntu is not going away, so I recommend trolls like Levitsky to go away. There's nothing appealing in Windows 7 except some apps and games. That's all. It has messed up USB support, ntfs that's just insane file system which fragments a lot, messed up security mechanism and dozens of viruses, so it's a fully social desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Hummmm. Now I don't know what to say.
    I mean, I am happy to be on a Gentoo machine. I am happy to sponsor Gentoo at least a little (according to my purse).

But Canonical dropping Kubuntu? Hm. I mean I install Linux on machines for other people. Normal people. So I won't use Gentoo. They need something with easy package management. But I like to have KDE for them. (KDE isn't perfect but for me still the best full featured DE, unless you're on a really really low end machine where you're fine with XFCE or e17 or something.)
    So I gave Kubuntu a try from time to time but it never worked out, it was too unstable (okay, most of these machines had lots VIA (GPU) or SiS chips inside so yeah...) Some years ago on my ECS G320 all distributions that I tried (besides Gentoo failed and a SuSE netinstall).
    Then normally SuSE worked like a charm.
    And SuSE is having good KDE integration. So SuSE normally was then the choice - besides it has a large German community so if people needed advice...

Still what I do NOT like about Canonical's statement is that they pretend indirectly that Gnome3 or their Unity would be a commercial success. WTF? Just open your ears and you hear people scream in pain about Gnome 3 or Unity. It's often on the same level of paternalism like Windows, sometimes even more. And that sucks. Users are in charge of their hardware not some strange OS (or DE).
    So where do they want to go with their Unity? I see other distributions embracing it with love. Not.
    Canonical better should think twice about their decisions.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    I would like to go to OpenSuse but I don't want to miss out on Canonical's frontline innovations. Is OpenSuse manoeuvring to be on Tablets?
    Not only is openSUSE currently in the process of getting ARM support, but the official plasma active releases use an openSUSE derivative and plasma active is officially developed using the openSUSE buildservice.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by droste View Post
    Edit: Well I was wrong, there a Unity packages for openSUSE (see https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...NOME%3AAyatana)
    Those are being removed, I believe. They don't want to maintain the massive patch-set against gnome.

Leave a comment:

• siride
    replied
    Microsoft is on the nose. Anyone that's a hobbyist is not touching MS stuff.
    Probably correct. Professionals will use Windows and immature hobbyists will be Linux zealots.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Microsoft is on the nose. Anyone that's a hobbyist is not touching MS stuff.
    It is more than possible to use Windows as your primary development station for Linux. Code isn't nearly as bigoted as users.

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    I would like to go to OpenSuse but I don't want to miss out on Canonical's frontline innovations. Is OpenSuse manoeuvring to be on Tablets?
    Well they do that since ~2010. Currently they try to get all packages working on ARM (see http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:ARM 17000 packages are verified to work on ARM archs). AFAIK they don't have Unity packages but many other DE for example Plasma Active. Also openSUSE has created _many_ innovations probably more than Canonical (see for example https://build.opensuse.org/ it let's you build packages for many distros from the same source)

Edit: Well I was wrong, there a Unity packages for openSUSE (see https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...NOME%3AAyatana)
    Last edited by droste; 08 February 2012, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X