Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!

One thing I must admit, they sure know how to shoot themself in a foot.
    Kubuntu was the last reason I kept on using Ubuntu.

And you know what. Despite being a kernel developer, I have decided that I had enough of that bullshit.
    I am gradually switching to Windows 7.
    I have plenty of things to do in real life, and they are more important that all that limbo that happens lately in Linux.
    I had to switch to KDE as Gnome became to sucky, and KDE while is almost prefect feature wise is just too buggy.

I guess its time for me to start treating computer as a tool. A tool that will give me food (most programming jobs, hate it or like it are Windows based), a tool that will give me entertainment (eg games, various programs, photoshop)
    a word processor that yeah also sucks, but still less that OO does, and lack of fear that every new piece of hardware I buy won't work in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
      I have plenty of things to do in real life, and they are more important that all that limbo that happens lately in Linux.
      I had to switch to KDE as Gnome became to sucky, and KDE while is almost prefect feature wise is just too buggy.
      Go back to KDE 3.X / Trinity? I still prefer to run KDE 3.X since it runs faster on my hardware, although I really haven't tried KDE 4.8 yet..

When I buy a new laptop next year, I'll run KDE4.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
        One thing I must admit, they sure know how to shoot themself in a foot.
        Kubuntu was the last reason I kept on using Ubuntu.

And you know what. Despite being a kernel developer, I have decided that I had enough of that bullshit.
        I am gradually switching to Windows 7.

I guess its time for me to start treating computer as a tool. A tool that will give me food (most programming jobs, hate it or like it are Windows based), a tool that will give me entertainment (eg games, various programs, photoshop)
        a word processor that yeah also sucks, but still less that OO does, and lack of fear that every new piece of hardware I buy won't work in Linux.
        I know how you feel, I felt the same way when I was overwhelmed with all the Linux problems and such. I use Win7 too and it's good, it's OK but Linux I just love and whenever I have some time and I'm in the mood I return to Linux with great pleasure and have fun.
        Win7 is just not fun and neither are most if not all of the paid programming jobs. You just get to do what they want and what they tell you do to and often it's just stupid
        and stuff like that. In Linux you can make program cool things and have fun plus the community is fun too.
        As for Ubuntu dropping Kubuntu I suggest you look to OpenSuse which still have good KDE support and maybe even Fedora. Mint also have a KDE edition they take care of from what I know. Kubuntu was always way too buggy for me and I didn't like it, it just felt like a poor relative and that's that.
        Plenty more good less well known KDE distros to choose from now that I think of it like Pardus , PCLinuxOS or Chakra...

Comment

Ubuntu ...

... "we are what we are because Mark Shuttleworth says so." Canonical's disloyalty towards its users is likely to engender a reciprocal response.

Comment

I'm surprised it took this long...

Comment

My understanding of the situation is that Kubuntu has always been a second or third rate Ubuntu citizen. There has always been bugs, and a lot of piece was never patched after the repo freeze with each new version. Nevermind that a lot of GNOME or GTK components was shipped default.
              And besides, KDE will still be packaged, so Kubuntu will be clean install+KDE packages.
              Besides, other distroes tend to do a better job at KDE. Perhaps it has somethign to do with the repo freeze? I don't really know.

Comment

And the option? Gnome?! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by ayqazi View Post
                  So I switched from Gentoo to Kubuntu because I wanted my latest-and-greatest KDE on Linux fix with the least hassle... I hope I won't have to switch again. After all, the community will be supporting it so I hope it will stay up-to-date. I don't mind using Gnome stuff for things like network management and all that so I don't mind if the KDE versions of those become out of date, but I hope at least the desktop environment will continue to be functional.
                  Why not use opensuse, I find their KDE implementation close to perfect and with the right repositories you can stay very very close to official releases ? Personally am happy with it, never really saw kubuntu as a valid alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    What was your experience/impression of Gentoo's KDE support? I've just installed KDE, but never really used it, on my Gentoo machine, so I'm curious to know.
                    I haven't used Gentoo for about 8 months now, but every time a new version of KDE came out I always had problems installing the new pykde4. It seems like that ebuild was always broken for about a week after it was released. Which means you would only have half of the new KDE installed until they fixed the ebuild.

Other than that, it was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                      Go upstream, aka Debian.
                      Besides you can't go Gnome on Ubuntu, you can only go for Unity.
                      I left Unity for Fedora, although I don't hate Gnome3 with a passion, your case is probably different.

Comment

Working...
                      X