Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu

Phoronix: Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu

After the forthcoming 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" release, Canonical will no longer be sponsoring the Kubuntu derivative and will be dropping support for this KDE-based alternative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Worst news heard this year

Thats may be the worst news I head this year. I use Kubuntu for 3 years now(Using Ubuntu for 5 years now). I like KDE, at least more more better then Unity or Gnome 3. Kubuntu has some lagging in supporting some features/software of Ubuntu(Like its a step sister of Ubuntu but still a sister) and make it non Canoncial supporting will make KDE just more alien type in Ubuntu packages. Canoncial I think just going mad and playing russian roulette(Unity and many decisions are triggers and now finally this).

I used KDE with Fedora in my University's PCs but Kubuntu seems far better to me. If starting 12.10 Kubuntu lags more, may be I have to check other KDE based distros.

Comment

I wasn't aware GNOME is a business success. Bullshit.

Comment

Ubuntu doesn't even have a Gnome spin, they dumped Gnome even before dumping KDE. (yes, Gnome is still packaged, but there's no LiveCD with Gnome and the regular Ubuntu LiveCD will install a Unity desktop that needs to be manually changed to Gnome.)

Comment

makes sense -for canonical-

as it seems what they are trying to do is get a toolkit independent DE with a Unity front end.

Comment

So I switched from Gentoo to Kubuntu because I wanted my latest-and-greatest KDE on Linux fix with the least hassle... I hope I won't have to switch again. After all, the community will be supporting it so I hope it will stay up-to-date. I don't mind using Gnome stuff for things like network management and all that so I don't mind if the KDE versions of those become out of date, but I hope at least the desktop environment will continue to be functional.

Comment

Originally posted by ayqazi View Post
              So I switched from Gentoo to Kubuntu because I wanted my latest-and-greatest KDE on Linux fix with the least hassle... I hope I won't have to switch again. After all, the community will be supporting it so I hope it will stay up-to-date. I don't mind using Gnome stuff for things like network management and all that so I don't mind if the KDE versions of those become out of date, but I hope at least the desktop environment will continue to be functional.
              What was your experience/impression of Gentoo's KDE support? I've just installed KDE, but never really used it, on my Gentoo machine, so I'm curious to know.

Comment

While I'm not the above poster, I have been using KDE for years on Gentoo. They had some problem with staying close to upstream during the 4.2 / 4.3 time but this is now way better. KDE Relases on Gentoo usually happen the day they are published on kde.org, there even are live ebuilds for them if you want to stay on the bleeding edge.

Installation is painless (emerge -av kdebase-meta) and works great out of the box. It is by far my favorite DE with its activities catering to all my different usage scenarios. (Webbrowsing, development etc)

I can only recommend kde to you. Never had a more polished desktop that can be configured just the way I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  What was your experience/impression of Gentoo's KDE support? I've just installed KDE, but never really used it, on my Gentoo machine, so I'm curious to know.
                  I've been using KDE in Gentoo since 2004 - I'd say it isn't as polished as a full distro releases like openSUSE but reflects what's happening upstream. For example only recently has an official frontend to NetworkManager become available.

The kde overlay makes it very easy to run the whole of KDE from git

Also with being Gentoo you always have access to the latest Qt, kernels, xorg servers and the rest of the graphics stack

Yes there is the initial effort of setting up your machine but the rewards, I feel, far outweigh this - as a Gentoo user you probably agree with me though

Comment

-malicious mode on-

Maybe it is because since when they introduced Unity users started moving to KDE?

-malicious mode off-

Comment

Working...
                    X