Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Ubuntu doesn't even have a Gnome spin, they dumped Gnome even before dumping KDE. (yes, Gnome is still packaged, but there's no LiveCD with Gnome and the regular Ubuntu LiveCD will install a Unity desktop that needs to be manually changed to Gnome.)
    You shouldn't overstate the differences between Unity and upstream Gnome - they still have 99% of their code in common. They have big political differences, but technically, it amounts to a different WM, a few custom libraries, and a scattering of patches. For most practical purposes, Unity *is* Gnome.

Comment

>SUSE's too hard to use.

OpenSUSE's not majorly different than other distros. Why would you say it's harder to use? It's YaST utility that lets you change almost everything on your system from a GUI generally leads people to say it's easier to use than many distros. The installer is also without argument the most powerful of any Linux distro.

A lot of new OpenSUSE users are coming from Ubuntu.
      http://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/com...e_after_using/

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
        Thats may be the worst news I head this year. I use Kubuntu for 3 years now(Using Ubuntu for 5 years now). I like KDE, at least more more better then Unity or Gnome 3. Kubuntu has some lagging in supporting some features/software of Ubuntu(Like its a step sister of Ubuntu but still a sister) and make it non Canoncial supporting will make KDE just more alien type in Ubuntu packages. Canoncial I think just going mad and playing russian roulette(Unity and many decisions are triggers and now finally this).

I used KDE with Fedora in my University's PCs but Kubuntu seems far better to me. If starting 12.10 Kubuntu lags more, may be I have to check other KDE based distros.
        You might check out these two options for personal-use desktops/laptops:

Linux Mint KDE 12

Netrunner 4.1

Both are based on Canonical/Kubuntu/Debian code and repositories. For mine, in using Muon, perhaps Netrunner 4.1 has the slight edge in features:

Have fun.
        Last edited by hal2k1; 07 February 2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong parent post

Comment

I use Kubuntu. I download the Kubuntu CD when installing my system or upgrading.

I guess it wont be that bad as long as you can install KDE from the repositories.
          Last edited by e8hffff; 08 February 2012, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
            And you know what. Despite being a kernel developer, I have decided that I had enough of that bullshit.
            I am gradually switching to Windows 7.
            Microsoft is on the nose. Anyone that's a hobbyist is not touching MS stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
              My understanding of the situation is that Kubuntu has always been a second or third rate Ubuntu citizen.
              I personally do not get this 'distro' thing. What the hell is going on. What we have in common is repositories. Canonical simply need to have one OS where users download the windowing system after installing the base files. Maybe Unity/Wayland could be the base.

I run KDE under a Kubuntu initial distribution, but GTK and KDE stuff all runs. Once you install, the distro distinctions blurs.

Do people think Canonical will lower their attention to KDE packages and their release dates?

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                Why not use opensuse, I find their KDE implementation close to perfect and with the right repositories you can stay very very close to official releases ? Personally am happy with it, never really saw kubuntu as a valid alternative.
                It is nice to have Canonical's frequent release schedules. Doesn't OpenSuse use Yum?

Comment

Originally posted by bluestealth View Post
                  Go upstream, aka Debian.
                  Besides you can't go Gnome on Ubuntu, you can only go for Unity.
                  I left Unity for Fedora, although I don't hate Gnome3 with a passion, your case is probably different.
                  I've found most other releases are too behind. Nothing worse then downloading ISO and installing, to find KDE3 or old version of KDE4, then have to go on a hunt to find repositories that somewhat give new content.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    I havn't decided to leave Kubuntu, but I want to be ready to leave in case things start going badly. I was hoping that Ubuntu would learn from their mistakes with Unity and Gnome 3 move the other way, toward KDE. All else equal, I'd rather give my support and business to firms and what not that better support KDE. I'd most prefer to patronize Fedora/Red Hat because my support there would benefit all Linux, but I know that I won't be getting enough of what I want. Besides, I've converted many people to Linux, many of whom aren't very tech savy and it takes some effort to set things up so I don't have to constantly answer questions or help them make things work the way they need it to. If I can find something that makes it easier for new converts, that's even better.
                    I think Canonical is making many good choices, even though users are angry over changes. Canonical is getting ready for their products to be on Tablets, and other devices. To do that they need 'Unity' and the methods to suit a variety of devices. Other Companies and distro makers are missing this direction and could find themselves on an island.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      It is nice to have Canonical's frequent release schedules. Doesn't OpenSuse use Yum?
                      No they have zypper. The release cycle for openSUSE is 8 months (only 2 more than Ubuntu) and there's even a rolling release version: http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Usually you don't have to upgrade the whole system that often. For the few packages where I really want to be on the bleeding edge I add the so called "Factory" repositories to zypper which are updated often and contain the most recent versions (KDE for example, I'm currently running openSUSE 12.1 with KDE 4.8 without any problems)

Comment

Working...
                      X