Canonical To Drop Support For Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not happy about this news...

This news is disappointing, but not a complete surprise either. I've been using Kubuntu now since the demise of Freespire, and it really seemed that Kubuntu wasn't ever promoted by Canonical. Hopefully the Kubuntu community will be able to successfully go forward without their support.

Comment

Canonical makes one Kubuntu developer work on different stuff (probably Qt or similar) in the future. Big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Canonical makes one Kubuntu developer work on different stuff (probably Qt or similar) in the future. Big deal.
        It took 3 pages for someone to write it as it is...
        Yes, that's a still a sad news for Kubuntu, but come on...

All bashers so far, please repeat after me: there will be other versions of Kubuntu after 12.04

They pull the plug on the one paid Kubuntu dev; and by that, it doesn't even mean he's fired.
        Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 07 February 2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I personally do not get why Ubuntu needs specific versions to cater to certain desktops. It does not seem to benefit them by giving them more attention; it seems to have the opposite effect of making them become more niched and have trouble "following the leader" as it were.

I think Fedora (and most other distros for that matter) have it right, by just maintaining the packages for all of the real DE's in their Repos. And if you do not want to go fiddling with the installer, you can grab one of the community spins that are maintained in a similar fashion to Ubuntu's, though I find it more convenient to do package selection from the installer. Especially if you like having more than one desktop.

I am using Xfce in this matter, as Gnome 3 does not work with Zaphod Mode, and have installed it through the installer like this on three computers in this fashion. I do not feel like I am lagging behind by using Xfce on it, and do not feel like I am lacking in support. Same for the LXDE install I have on here. And I would assume, also the same for KDE if you want to use that.

Comment

I liked Kutuntu because it was so...naitively KDE and it kept things up to date with full updates every 6 months. It also had a big repo and a lot of 3rd party packages. I even liked that it was easy to install proprietary drivers and what not because I'm not ready for mesa until I get a good AMD graphics card. SUSE's too hard to use. Fedora KDE's great, but it doesn't fit many of my preferences. Does anyone know of any other distros that fit this catagory?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              I liked Kutuntu because it was so...naitively KDE and it kept things up to date with full updates every 6 months. It also had a big repo and a lot of 3rd party packages. I even liked that it was easy to install proprietary drivers and what not because I'm not ready for mesa until I get a good AMD graphics card. SUSE's too hard to use. Fedora KDE's great, but it doesn't fit many of my preferences. Does anyone know of any other distros that fit this catagory?
              Read what I wrote. Then stick with Kubuntu if you liked it so far.

Comment

Read what I wrote. Then stick with Kubuntu if you liked it so far.
                I havn't decided to leave Kubuntu, but I want to be ready to leave in case things start going badly. I was hoping that Ubuntu would learn from their mistakes with Unity and Gnome 3 move the other way, toward KDE. All else equal, I'd rather give my support and business to firms and what not that better support KDE. I'd most prefer to patronize Fedora/Red Hat because my support there would benefit all Linux, but I know that I won't be getting enough of what I want. Besides, I've converted many people to Linux, many of whom aren't very tech savy and it takes some effort to set things up so I don't have to constantly answer questions or help them make things work the way they need it to. If I can find something that makes it easier for new converts, that's even better.

Comment

well, all the hard work of making KDE as bad as possible on ubuntu was finally seen as a hopeless endeaver. Got for KDE. All those bad patches, all those broken translations (correct in KDE, broken by canonical), they will hardly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    What was your experience/impression of Gentoo's KDE support? I've just installed KDE, but never really used it, on my Gentoo machine, so I'm curious to know.
                    Setting up X and everything is a pain, but it compiles flawlessly and works just fine, even the ~ releases. It just takes so long that I sometimes put it off. System integration is non-existent, like network setup and stuff but I prefer setting up my system using config files anyway, so I never felt the loss. It's just the compile times and driver hunting and X setup that made me leave. I can't imagine what it would have been like to set up all of my laptop's special keys (volume controls, screen brightness, etc.) using Gentoo.

Regards,
                    Asfand

Comment

what is there to set up with X nowadays? it doesn't even need a xorg.conf anymore.

Networking is even easier: turn on dhcp in your router, skip network setup. Done!

Comment

Working...
                      X