Ubuntu Announces A Heads-Up Display For 12.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    If you're using an app you've never used before the HUD isn't going to help you at all!
    Huh? That is precisely who it will help the most. You'll be able to type whatever you want to find if a menu item exists with that functionality rather than digging through every single menu and submenu.

However this system doesn't go far enough. It needs to have synonyms - some music players call it "shuffle" while some call it "random play". Additionally many items are actually on dialog boxes not menus. They got lucky with the Inkscape effects which would be unfindable if there had been an effects dialog.

I think a far better solution would be a hybrid combination of Microsoft's ribbon menu system and the Chrome preferences (chrome://settings and search field) behaviour. However this would require rearchitecting applications and user interfaces.

Comment

Is it really that hard to use a mouse?

Comment

Got the name wrong

Another name for the HeadsUp Display could be PopupDialog Display.

Comment

Meh, you can tell you're getting old when all the flashy/trendy new features don't appeal to you. This seems like nonsense. I want my 90s-era menus! At the top of the application in a nice, neat row.

Comment

It seems they have to compensate for their annoying to use global menu. I don't have anything in particular against global menus, but Canonical's implementation is just horrible. Not only do they hide it (which is annoying enough) but the way how they push the menus over dbus is slow as hell. It always takes a few seconds on my (admittedly somewhat older) laptop to open a menu and on all my other systems it is very sluggish as well. It's really a shame since I actually like the unification of the title-bar and the panel (the indicators also feel great).

Comment

According to Mr. Shuttleworth, this crap "will ultimately replace menus in Unity applications".

And I will ultimately be replacing Ubuntu with a real distribution.

"Coming in Ubuntu 13.04 -- disabled mouse drivers!"

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                According to Mr. Shuttleworth, this crap "will ultimately replace menus in Unity applications".

And I will ultimately be replacing Ubuntu with a real distribution.

"Coming in Ubuntu 13.04 -- disabled mouse drivers!"
                Slackware 14.94 Conquestodor de Paridisio! w/ KDE 5.86

Comment

Heh, this reminds me of pentadactyl's :emenu option.

Comment

OK, I for one think this looks quit appealing.

It makes me think of a mix between kde's krunner (alt+f2) and dbus menus.

Also, it reduces vertical screen real estate used, which I'm always for.

Comment

Switched to Mint because of Mate and Cinnamon.

Staying because of Unity, Gnome3, KDE4, LXDE, XFCE and now this tragedy.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      This is optional, it won't replace the menu anytime soon. So please keep that in mind before you begin bashing Ubuntu/Canonical.
                      No, not all ideas made while high are good ideas unless they involve food, booze or more weed. This is as dumb an idea as this: WebM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                      X