No announcement yet.

Debating A Software Center For Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although the current UI to install and uninstall apps in fedora sucks, it is fast. Ubuntu Software center is always slow when I test it I know that the new software center for 11.10 is a lot faster than the previous ones but still isn't as fast as I would like, with fedora I just limit myself to install stuff via yum.
    Last edited by josian_220; 26 November 2011, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Whatever they create I hope it's not created by a python/ruby script kiddie. I want fast startup etc. Unfortunately there's too many feeble minded programmers (at Canonical and elsewhere) who think C++ (or C or alike) are too sophisticated/whatever.
      you stole words from my mind; i mean, i respect all the developers, but really, they should grow up.

Comment

Whatever they create I hope it's not created by a python/ruby script kiddie. I want fast startup etc. Unfortunately there's too many feeble minded programmers (at Canonical and elsewhere) who think C++ (or C or alike) are too sophisticated/whatever.
        You can write fast applications in Python and Ruby.
        It's definitely possible to write a software center app in one of those languages that starts up quicker than a C++ application like Firefox.

Comment

I agree that Fedora should have a new software management application, but I'm with those who want a sophisticated one. The main reason why I never got into Fedora was that package management was horribly difficult - even a task like adding a new repository was nearly impossible. So an advanced package manager like YaST Qt would do it a lot of good.

As for the language, I have to agree with pvtcupcakes here. The speed is not about the language, it's about how you optimise your code. C and C++ are vastly overrated, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I agree that Fedora should have a new software management application, but I'm with those who want a sophisticated one. The main reason why I never got into Fedora was that package management was horribly difficult - even a task like adding a new repository was nearly impossible. So an advanced package manager like YaST Qt would do it a lot of good.
            Which version of Fedora have you used? Adding a repository like RPMFusion is just a matter of click via a browser. Yumex, one of frontend for yum, is available for people waiting to use advanced function. Granted that GUI packagekit needs refinement, but the functionality are not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              You can write fast applications in Python and Ruby.
              It's definitely possible to write a software center app in one of those languages that starts up quicker than a C++ application like Firefox.
              Only a lier or a naive one would issue such statements. I'm talking about the fact that native/compiled apps which are usually written in C/C++/Vala a priori have speed advantages over python/ruby/whatever scripts for not having to run an additional VM/interpreter and not having to waste extra CPU cycles on dynamic compilation when running, not to mention other stuff. Before arguing make sure you understand what you're talking about and don't bring up cheap shots anymore please.

Comment

apt-get -> Synaptic. That's all a distro needs to manage packages.

Comment

Only a lier or a naive one would issue such statements. I'm talking about the fact that native/compiled apps which are usually written in C/C++/Vala a priori have speed advantages over python/ruby/whatever scripts for not having to run an additional VM/interpreter and not having to waste extra CPU cycles on dynamic compilation when running, not to mention other stuff. Before arguing make sure you understand what you're talking about and don't bring up cheap shots anymore please.
                  Thanks for the laugh, needed that!

Those evil VMs/interpreters that are stealing our precious CPU cycles, slowing down the very CPU intensive software-center GUI. Damn them! Not to mention other stuff.

No, in fact I'd like to know what you meant by "other stuff". What other stuff do those evil VMs/interpreters do, other than "steal your CPU cyclez"? (For some reason I don't think you'll answer "improve security", but feel free to prove me wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    apt-get -> Synaptic. That's all a distro needs to manage packages.
                    I don't think synaptic can handle RPMs. Plus, its UI sucks. The only reason people still use it is familiarity. If synaptic was released in this state today, its developers would be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                      Windows doesn't have one and it seems to be doing alright...
                      Windows 8 introduces an appstore. With that, all major OSs now sport a software-center as a first party component - all major OSs bar Fedora, that is.

Comment

Working...
                      X