X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
    I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
    As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.
    Exactly, neither of us have any real basis.

Neither have access to their accounting numbers, so we're just speculating here.

If they have started to get a good ROI or not is something that is not of our concern either. Last time i checked is their money and i believe they can do whatever they want with it.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

am sure they will get their investments back real soon.
    I really don't want to get into an argument, so I'll simply say: what are you basing this confidence on?
    I recall a few years ago they were touting eucalyptus as this fabulous cloud base. Do you know what happened when some people took a look at eucalyptus? They (nasa) said, no, this won't scale, so they started a project called nebula. Later that project merged with rackspace's openstack. Now, openstack has a chance to succeed and somehow ubuntu is the default image. I've no idea why, but there it is, and no, I don't think canonical has contributed much, if anything, to openstack. Frankly, suse would've been the smart option but who knows what will be happening with them in the future. Moreover, I think either, 1)the default image isn't important, 2)something else will be chosen to replace ubuntu. Now I mention this to demonstrate thay canonical's engineering vision isn't exactly proven, thus why I have doubts.
    As for return on investment, i don't think they have yet been in the black, let alone made enough to recover shuttleworth's millions.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Not that I disagree with you but you mentioned evolution and that brought this is mind.
    http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/evolution-express-for-meego.html

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    Heh, canonical doesn't have the power/brand that canonical has...
    I'll eat my hat if anything substantial comes of this.
    IMHO, shuttleworth is trying to sell canonical as fast as he can, so he is shoving "his" name into as many things as possible hoping something will stick enough to let him get his money back.
    ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

am sure they will get their investments back real soon.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    I think ubuntu can succeed but not on lone phones or tablets but on the new hybrids:

hybrid phone/desktops

hybrid tablet/laptops

anyway, is good to see ubuntu investing in the mobile space (or smart screens like they said).

remember that their main competitor is windows and if windows enters these spaces they should too.

Leave a comment:

• sreyan
    replied
    Absolutely right.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    YAFFS2? Seriously?
    Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.
    I think you're absolutely right. Android uses EXT4 by default just fine on my nexus s. I'm not sure why YAFFS2 would be the leading choice.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    - The root file-system for Ubuntu on mobile phones was discussed.. The key option as mentioned by a Canonical engineer leading the discussion was the YAFFS2 file-system.
    YAFFS2? Seriously?
    Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I'd like an Ubuntu phone, if for no other reason that I could (hopefully!) easily remove Ubuntu from it and run whatever I want. Not run a crippled chroot or a crippled kernel, but a distro in full control of the hw.
    And that's part of the reason you will never see one because no manufacturer wants you to do that, even in an unsupported setting.

Leave a comment:

• temp
    replied
    I don't know meego too much, but I know Maemo and the only thing that's wrong with it is the number of developers - too few of them.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    I think it's awesome and want to see / know more about it in the future.

The OpenMoko guys don't have the power/brand that Canonical has, let's see what the latter can do!
    Heh, canonical doesn't have the power/brand that canonical has...
    I'll eat my hat if anything substantial comes of this.
    IMHO, shuttleworth is trying to sell canonical as fast as he can, so he is shoving "his" name into as many things as possible hoping something will stick enough to let him get his money back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X