No announcement yet.

Plans For Ubuntu On Phones Are Laid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like an Ubuntu phone, if for no other reason that I could (hopefully!) easily remove Ubuntu from it and run whatever I want. Not run a crippled chroot or a crippled kernel, but a distro in full control of the hw.

Comment

I think it's awesome and want to see / know more about it in the future.

The OpenMoko guys don't have the power/brand that Canonical has, let's see what the latter can do!

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        I think it's awesome and want to see / know more about it in the future.

The OpenMoko guys don't have the power/brand that Canonical has, let's see what the latter can do!
        Heh, canonical doesn't have the power/brand that canonical has...
        I'll eat my hat if anything substantial comes of this.
        IMHO, shuttleworth is trying to sell canonical as fast as he can, so he is shoving "his" name into as many things as possible hoping something will stick enough to let him get his money back.

Comment

I don't know meego too much, but I know Maemo and the only thing that's wrong with it is the number of developers - too few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I'd like an Ubuntu phone, if for no other reason that I could (hopefully!) easily remove Ubuntu from it and run whatever I want. Not run a crippled chroot or a crippled kernel, but a distro in full control of the hw.
            And that's part of the reason you will never see one because no manufacturer wants you to do that, even in an unsupported setting.

Comment

- The root file-system for Ubuntu on mobile phones was discussed.. The key option as mentioned by a Canonical engineer leading the discussion was the YAFFS2 file-system.
              YAFFS2? Seriously?
              Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.

Comment

Absolutely right.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                YAFFS2? Seriously?
                Are these guys targeting 3 year old hardware? Or are they just BRAIN DEAD?

Modern phones run eMMC storage devices. YAFFS2 is a RAW NAND FLASH filesystem --> It is NOT COMPATIBLE with eMMC.
                I think you're absolutely right. Android uses EXT4 by default just fine on my nexus s. I'm not sure why YAFFS2 would be the leading choice.

Comment

I think ubuntu can succeed but not on lone phones or tablets but on the new hybrids:

hybrid phone/desktops

hybrid tablet/laptops

anyway, is good to see ubuntu investing in the mobile space (or smart screens like they said).

remember that their main competitor is windows and if windows enters these spaces they should too.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Heh, canonical doesn't have the power/brand that canonical has...
                    I'll eat my hat if anything substantial comes of this.
                    IMHO, shuttleworth is trying to sell canonical as fast as he can, so he is shoving "his" name into as many things as possible hoping something will stick enough to let him get his money back.
                    ubuntu is started to do very good on the cloud space.

am sure they will get their investments back real soon.

Comment

Not that I disagree with you but you mentioned evolution and that brought this is mind.
                      http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/evolution-express-for-meego.html

Comment

Working...
                      X