Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 12.1 Release Candidate Arrives

Phoronix: openSUSE 12.1 Release Candidate Arrives

For those that missed it, the openSUSE 12.1 Release Candidate arrived over the weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: openSUSE 12.1 Release Candidate Arrives

For those that missed it, the openSUSE 12.1 Release Candidate arrived over the weekend...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAwNTQ
    Grub2 and Systemd can be installed and used, they haven't "switched over" however.

Comment

German? 'optionally'?

Heya,

Thanks for mentioning us, but please try not to call us 'German'. openSUSE no more a German distribution as Ubuntu is South African or Fedora is typically American. Yes, probably almost half the SUSE engineers comes from Germany but they are not the only ones developing openSUSE and it's quite insulting to our (north and south) American, Asian etc contributors to call us all German.

And GNOME 3.2 is not 'optional', it's an officially supported desktop, together with XFCE, LXDE and KDE. We also ship 'optional' desktops, like other distro's do - enlightenment for example. But we're not like Fedora (only GNOME) or Ubuntu (only Unity) that we have just one desktop and the rest is 'optional' or 'community supported' or whatever they call it. These four desktops are all equal, the only difference is a default checkbox in the installer, nothing more. GNOME 3.2 is a major feature of openSUSE 12.1 and we're proud of that. It doesn't do justice to the work our community has put into it to call it 'optional' (see http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/20...th-GNOME-3.2.1 ).

Thanks,
      Jos

Comment

Jos, I as a reader of phoronix has learned that the articles here are worded for a sensationalist purpose mainly and they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I'm looking forward to test out the new opensuse release, you've done a great job in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by jospoortvliet View Post
          Heya,

Thanks for mentioning us, but please try not to call us 'German'. openSUSE no more a German distribution as Ubuntu is South African or Fedora is typically American. Yes, probably almost half the SUSE engineers comes from Germany but they are not the only ones developing openSUSE and it's quite insulting to our (north and south) American, Asian etc contributors to call us all German.

And GNOME 3.2 is not 'optional', it's an officially supported desktop, together with XFCE, LXDE and KDE. We also ship 'optional' desktops, like other distro's do - enlightenment for example. But we're not like Fedora (only GNOME) or Ubuntu (only Unity) that we have just one desktop and the rest is 'optional' or 'community supported' or whatever they call it. These four desktops are all equal, the only difference is a default checkbox in the installer, nothing more. GNOME 3.2 is a major feature of openSUSE 12.1 and we're proud of that. It doesn't do justice to the work our community has put into it to call it 'optional' (see http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/20...th-GNOME-3.2.1 ).

Thanks,
          Jos
          Dude, get over yourself! Seriously!

OpenSUSE is a GERMAN operating system - its from Germany, and as you mentioned, the bulk of the developers are from GERMANY!

Ubuntu is a South African operating system as well - They were started and are based in South Africa and most of their developers live there.

Fedora is, you guessed it, an American operating system - why, well, for one thing, they started here... Another, their parent company is Red Hat - Yeah, another AMERICAN company.

If you don't like Germans so much, then maybe you should develop for a distro that is sponsered in your OWN country.

Hell, I'm and American, but I work for a multinational company that does business in all the other countries in the world... But you know what... I'm still an American.

Try to get out more and see the world around you - or at least the sun every so often
          Last edited by LinuxRocks; 25 October 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Oh, and BTW, I would not brag so much about Gnome Shell being a "Major" feature, cause its a "Major" piece of crap.

Stick with it as being optional and you should fair well in larger groups!

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRocks View Post

OpenSUSE is a GERMAN operating system - its from Germany, and as you mentioned, the bulk of the developers are from GERMANY!

Ubuntu is a South African operating system as well - They were started and are based in South Africa and most of their developers live there.

Fedora is, you guessed it, an American operating system - why, well, for one thing, they started here... Another, their parent company is Red Hat - Yeah, another AMERICAN company.
              openSUSE has never technically been a product of a german company. The original SuSE was. openSUSE however was started by Novell, an American company and was bought out by yet another American company Attachmate. The poster is quite correct that openSUSE is not necessarily a German distro. Yes there are a lot of German developers but there is also many other contributors that hail from other countries. As well the openSUSE board who are elected by their world wide members determine the direction of openSUSE. There are only two current members of that board that hail from Germany.

Comment

Sorry, what? He was just trying to make sure that the international developers got credit for the work they put into the distro. And you are saying he is the one who was up himself?

Oh, and BTW, I would not brag so much about Gnome Shell being a "Major" feature, cause its a "Major" piece of crap.

Stick with it as being optional and you should fair well in larger groups!
                Again, based on this comment, who is up themselves? You dislike the environment so suddenly you feel you are so important that you can to tell off developers who chose to use it?

If you are not actually contributing anything valuable, the least you can do is not cajole developers who actually are. OpenSUSE is becoming an increasingly interesting and powerful distro, and while I am quite happy with Fedora for the moment, I value the work and dedication that is being put into the product. Work into any distro makes Linux as a whole better, and the least you can do is give the developers your support.

Comment

Originally posted by jospoortvliet View Post
                  Heya,

Thanks,
                  Jos
                  I downloaded Suse Gnome it works fine with the Live disk, Though my play about with Gnome half the programs didn't work. I then downloaded Suse KDE Booted the live cd. guess what up popped the KDE desktop, followed by blank black screen with the cursor in the middle, rebooted and the same thing happened Another wasted CD I'll stick with Community releases, they work out of the box

Comment

Working...
                  X