X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by nepwk View Post
    ...as long as nobody tries to write a first-person-shooter in it.

Leave a comment:

• Aiua
    replied
    the vast majority of applications only need simple things like textboxes,checkboxes, images, buttons, etc.. and HTML does those things better than any of the others, and is both better looking and easier to write.
    you're kidding, right ?

Leave a comment:

• nepwk
    replied
    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    why? because those technologies are not meant to be used like that. Sure you _can_ use a spade to get a nail into a wall but you _should_ use a hammer. Why? because it's easier and a hammer is a tool that is designed to get a nail into a wall.
    ...and what exactly is wrong with them? Winforms, GTK+, QT, WPF, e17, OpenGL, DirectX ect... all offer a lot of features that HTML/CSS/Javascript don't have, but the vast majority of applications only need simple things like textboxes,checkboxes, images, buttons, etc.. and HTML does those things better than any of the others, and is both better looking and easier to write. I wouldn't want to write a 3d game (or any game) in web technologies, but your average application is easily written in web technology.

Throw in Perl and PHP interpreters, and you can do pretty much anything. It would piss all over C# and WPF, and it would be inherently open source and cross-platform. I see nothing but win here, as long as nobody tries to write a first-person-shooter in it.

Leave a comment:

• tuke81
    replied
    Hmm nokia will make a new linux distro too, with qt+swipe(will replace s40 os for cheaper phones):
    coin master free spin, coin master free spins, coin master link, coin master 2023, Coin master free spins Link UPDATED TODAY

Leave a comment:

• admiral0
    replied
    this is ridiculous

Come on... i believed in meego...

Web Developers != Developers

They are more designers than devs. And HTML is no platform, just a way to attract more applications on the platform.

Leave a comment:

• Detructor
    replied
    Why? That sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be great to have universal GUI language, and HTML and CSS are perfect for it.

I'd like to see something akin to Microsoft's HTA applications, where you basically just take HTML, styles, and admin VBScript (not web VBScript), put them in a .hta file, and there you have an interpreted application.

However, MS's implementation is crap, ideally, it'd support HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and Perl. Between those, you could write 95% of applications people actually use, and they would be inherently open source and easy to tinker with. There are definitely applications that need to be written in C++, possibly with some kind of GUI toolkit or another, but web technology would be the ultimate in portability and cross-platform compatibility, and interpreted languages like Javascript and PHP are just fine for most things.
    why? because those technologies are not meant to be used like that. Sure you _can_ use a spade to get a nail into a wall but you _should_ use a hammer. Why? because it's easier and a hammer is a tool that is designed to get a nail into a wall.

Leave a comment:

• nepwk
    replied
    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    and now all together please: "Web technologies are for the web and shouldn't be used as an API in an operating system" 3x. Thanks. Move on.
    Why? That sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be great to have universal GUI language, and HTML and CSS are perfect for it.

I'd like to see something akin to Microsoft's HTA applications, where you basically just take HTML, styles, and admin VBScript (not web VBScript), put them in a .hta file, and there you have an interpreted application.

However, MS's implementation is crap, ideally, it'd support HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and Perl. Between those, you could write 95% of applications people actually use, and they would be inherently open source and easy to tinker with. There are definitely applications that need to be written in C++, possibly with some kind of GUI toolkit or another, but web technology would be the ultimate in portability and cross-platform compatibility, and interpreted languages like Javascript and PHP are just fine for most things.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    I wonder what the next maemo/moblin/meego/tizen name will be... My favourite was moblin. It sounded good. Meego sounded like an attempt to do a "friendly" and cute OS. Tizen sounds like an evil chinese emperor, so it's obviously going to fail. How do they go from a "my little pony" name to an "evil tirant" name?

Leave a comment:

• korpenkraxar
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    I don't really see Tizen going anywhere regarding app development anyway.

The very concept of Tizen - HTML5 for everything - seems to be flawed. It's inherently more resource-hungry, slower and less flexible than native code or managed code and the HTML+JS software stack is a mess. Tizen developers propose WAC as the one-and-only API set, but that's very immature and messy right now. Most importantly though, many potential developers dislike using HTML5+JS.
    So in what way does Tizen actually carry on the Meego torch? By branching off the source repos of kernel or other low-level related stuff that the Meego project worked with? I mean, if they are throwing most if out, what is actually left that still identifies it as the Meego successor other than the spirit?

Leave a comment:

• Temar
    replied
    They should just buy WebOS from HP and release it as OpenSource. That's probably much cheaper than starting all over from scratch.

WebOS has everything they want: Linux, HTML5 and even a small app-developer community.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X