Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tizen Is Announced; MeeGo Will Transition To It

Phoronix: Tizen Is Announced; MeeGo Will Transition To It

The MeeGo Project announced last night they will be transitioning to Tizen, a new project from the Linux Foundation and others. Tizen is yet another mobile Linux attempt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess they saw M$' Metro junk, assumed people liked it based on pundits' reviews (they don't, people aren't buying Windows Phone) and thought they had to do the same design choices. Bad decision ...

Comment

Soo.. essentially switch name from MeeGo to Tizen, exchange Nokia with Samsung, and be on your way? Except the HTML5 crap. (Don't get me wrong, I love HTML5, just not as only API).

Comment

By all means, let's scrap it all and try again. Because that always works. Every. single. time.

You can't be great overnight. People seem to forget that it took google, with all of its resources THREE YEARS after their first release on a REAL CONSUMER DEVICE to get where they are.

You can't just pick something up, do a few releases, and then throw it all away because "there's little adoption".

Comment

and now all together please: "Web technologies are for the web and shouldn't be used as an API in an operating system" 3x. Thanks. Move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            and now all together please: "Web technologies are for the web and shouldn't be used as an API in an operating system" 3x. Thanks. Move on.
            +100

Comment

what does this mean for Qt?

As a day to day user of the KDE desktop one of the key things that made nokia/meego interesting was its use and promotion of QT, if Tizen doesn?t use that then it lessens my interest in exactly the same way as Nokia downplaying ?linux? in its QT marketed handsets.

I also doubt the capability of Tizen to be anything more than still-born if it doesn?t use a decent mobile focussed UI toolkit like Qt.

I have seen too many of these mobile linux partnerships come and go to no real effect, at the end of the day nokia is on its fifth generation of mobile linux products, that is at least a real track record to place some trust in.

I?m all for meego being folded into Tizen, and wishing it every success, but without nokia and Qt i remain sceptical, and quite happy to continue with an N9 for the next couple of years.

Comment

This is turning in to a running joke.

Comment

with no solid HW (or major company) background projects like that are bound to remain in the shadows

nokia has gone the MS way (sad cause the N9 looks really nice) Samsung is too general to focus on something and make it work (they even have something going on with Enlightenment) and most of the other companies have chosen their side (android, QNX, iOS)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                    As a day to day user of the KDE desktop one of the key things that made nokia/meego interesting was its use and promotion of QT, if Tizen doesn?t use that then it lessens my interest in exactly the same way as Nokia downplaying ?linux? in its QT marketed handsets.

I also doubt the capability of Tizen to be anything more than still-born if it doesn?t use a decent mobile focussed UI toolkit like Qt.

I have seen too many of these mobile linux partnerships come and go to no real effect, at the end of the day nokia is on its fifth generation of mobile linux products, that is at least a real track record to place some trust in.

I?m all for meego being folded into Tizen, and wishing it every success, but without nokia and Qt i remain sceptical, and quite happy to continue with an N9 for the next couple of years.
                    Don't forget that the KDE team called this well in advance of this happening and started Plasma Active. Ultimately I agree that Tizen is probably not going to go anywhere, but I believe that Plasma Active will.

Comment

Working...
                    X