Tizen Is Announced; MeeGo Will Transition To It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what's going to happen. I can only imagine three scenarios:

a) rinse and repeat: in a year or so, Tizen is renamed and development is refocused with new partners
    b) slow and silent death
    c) quick death

Comment

Any ideas what this means for the just to be released Nokia N9 in terms of future updates and application development? Looks like the timing for this announcement and brand confusion couldn't be worse.

Comment

My prediction:

Tizen will die quickly. If meego didn't make it, there are no reasons to believe Tizen will. As of today, no one can say the contrary and this is a fact.

For the moment, I see Android and IOS the only smartphone of the present/future even though I personally dislike both for various reasons. Windows Phone still has to take off and no one is even sure if it ever will, now go and try to bet on Tizen.

For me? Maemo + Moblin = Meego = Tizen = Epic fail.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          My prediction:

Tizen will die quickly. If meego didn't make it, there are no reasons to believe Tizen will. As of today, no one can say the contrary and this is a fact.

For the moment, I see Android and IOS the only smartphone of the present/future even though I personally dislike both for various reasons. Windows Phone still has to take off and no one is even sure if it ever will, now go and try to bet on Tizen.

For me? Maemo + Moblin = Meego = Tizen = Epic fail.
          You are probably right and it makes me sad. This f*****g problem with following through with projects that we see all the time in the FLOSS world is incredibly frustrating and depressing. What is it? Chasing for the next big flashy thing? Target panic?

:-(

Comment

I don't really see Tizen going anywhere regarding app development anyway.

The very concept of Tizen - HTML5 for everything - seems to be flawed. It's inherently more resource-hungry, slower and less flexible than native code or managed code and the HTML+JS software stack is a mess. Tizen developers propose WAC as the one-and-only API set, but that's very immature and messy right now. Most importantly though, many potential developers dislike using HTML5+JS.

Comment

They should just buy WebOS from HP and release it as OpenSource. That's probably much cheaper than starting all over from scratch.

WebOS has everything they want: Linux, HTML5 and even a small app-developer community.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                I don't really see Tizen going anywhere regarding app development anyway.

The very concept of Tizen - HTML5 for everything - seems to be flawed. It's inherently more resource-hungry, slower and less flexible than native code or managed code and the HTML+JS software stack is a mess. Tizen developers propose WAC as the one-and-only API set, but that's very immature and messy right now. Most importantly though, many potential developers dislike using HTML5+JS.
                So in what way does Tizen actually carry on the Meego torch? By branching off the source repos of kernel or other low-level related stuff that the Meego project worked with? I mean, if they are throwing most if out, what is actually left that still identifies it as the Meego successor other than the spirit?

Comment

I wonder what the next maemo/moblin/meego/tizen name will be... My favourite was moblin. It sounded good. Meego sounded like an attempt to do a "friendly" and cute OS. Tizen sounds like an evil chinese emperor, so it's obviously going to fail. How do they go from a "my little pony" name to an "evil tirant" name?

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    and now all together please: "Web technologies are for the web and shouldn't be used as an API in an operating system" 3x. Thanks. Move on.
                    Why? That sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be great to have universal GUI language, and HTML and CSS are perfect for it.

I'd like to see something akin to Microsoft's HTA applications, where you basically just take HTML, styles, and admin VBScript (not web VBScript), put them in a .hta file, and there you have an interpreted application.

However, MS's implementation is crap, ideally, it'd support HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and Perl. Between those, you could write 95% of applications people actually use, and they would be inherently open source and easy to tinker with. There are definitely applications that need to be written in C++, possibly with some kind of GUI toolkit or another, but web technology would be the ultimate in portability and cross-platform compatibility, and interpreted languages like Javascript and PHP are just fine for most things.

Comment

Originally posted by nepwk View Post
                      Why? That sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be great to have universal GUI language, and HTML and CSS are perfect for it.

I'd like to see something akin to Microsoft's HTA applications, where you basically just take HTML, styles, and admin VBScript (not web VBScript), put them in a .hta file, and there you have an interpreted application.

However, MS's implementation is crap, ideally, it'd support HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP and Perl. Between those, you could write 95% of applications people actually use, and they would be inherently open source and easy to tinker with. There are definitely applications that need to be written in C++, possibly with some kind of GUI toolkit or another, but web technology would be the ultimate in portability and cross-platform compatibility, and interpreted languages like Javascript and PHP are just fine for most things.
                      why? because those technologies are not meant to be used like that. Sure you _can_ use a spade to get a nail into a wall but you _should_ use a hammer. Why? because it's easier and a hammer is a tool that is designed to get a nail into a wall.

Comment

Working...
                      X