Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nasty Battery Power Usage On Ubuntu 11.10

Phoronix: The Nasty Battery Power Usage On Ubuntu 11.10

This morning I shared some initial battery power consumption results for Ubuntu 11.10 from three different mobile devices. For all three of them, the power consumption on Ubuntu 11.10 was even higher than Ubuntu 11.04, which was already in a power hungry state. Before calling it a week to go handle XDC2011 matters, I ran some tests from a standard Intel Atom N270 netbook. Sure enough, Ubuntu 11.10 is doing a heck of a job at burning through power...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Idle, DPMS Off, Video Playback
    Idle and Video Playback are mutually exclusive. The system cannot be idle and playing back video at the same time.

Comment

Don't you just looooove the Ubuntu bashing on Phoronix?

For the past odd 1.5 years I've yet to read a thoroughly positive toned article on Ubuntu on Phoronix.

It is not just Ubuntu that is going to suck more power, it is Linux. The changes are on the kernel side.

Geezzzzz....

Compile in the new kernel on an Arch Linux / <your favourite distro here> and test the power again.

Ubuntu bad, Ubuntu slower booting, Ubuntu Unity fail, Ubuntu unstable, Ubuntu own test suite (where is ours!), Ubuntu <negative rant here>

I, for one, love Unity. And its keyboard shortcuts. KDE is a good second but the <meta>+1 to switch between apps is brilliant. I am really productive on it, and apart from the terrible power management I'm actually looking forward to 11.10.

Comment

Originally posted by mvniekerk View Post
        For the past odd 1.5 years I've yet to read a thoroughly positive toned article on Ubuntu on Phoronix.

It is not just Ubuntu that is going to suck more power, it is Linux. The changes are on the kernel side.

Geezzzzz....

Compile in the new kernel on an Arch Linux / <your favourite distro here> and test the power again.

Ubuntu bad, Ubuntu slower booting, Ubuntu Unity fail, Ubuntu unstable, Ubuntu own test suite (where is ours!), Ubuntu <negative rant here>

I, for one, love Unity. And its keyboard shortcuts. KDE is a good second but the <meta>+1 to switch between apps is brilliant. I am really productive on it, and apart from the terrible power management I'm actually looking forward to 11.10.
        Phoronix has long been bashed because it doesn't care about anything other than Ubuntu. It completely ignores other distros and only focuses on Ubuntu. I don't think it really has anything to do with whether the stories end up being positive or negative.

Comment

I'm fairly certain Fedora has started to be getting more attention, as the distro has been improving to be more common-user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            I'm fairly certain Fedora has started to be getting more attention, as the distro has been improving to be more common-user friendly.
            It might be getting more usable but the default gnome-shell theme is hideous :P unity looks really great IMO, 11.04 was not ready for me yet but the little while I've been testing 11.10 I was satisfied but since I'm going to college soon I'll have to wait until 11.10 hits stable release so that I switch to it from fedora.

Comment

Atom power bugs

In this case, the power consumption issue is mostly in the kernel. I have an atom processor and I've tried upgrading the kernel to newer versions but....
              Everything past .37 consumes a significantly more power. That 20% there is the difference between the fan running quietly and about 2 hours off the battery life.

Comment

more tests?

It would be nice to have the same tests under optimal conditions, i mean after running power-top git and enabling all of the suggestion it provides, adding pcie_aspm=force, i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 to the kernel boot options.
                Personally, after doing that, i have 5,9 -> 6,1W in idle on a netbook with similar spec (asus 1005ha) with kernel 3.0.
                Didn't test it under load.

Comment

I bet phoronix has nothing personal to ubuntu, it's just most widely used linux distro. Who needs comparison of netbsd with slakware?

On my laptop btw I cant say I see major power regression, on lucid/maverick with kernel 2.6.34 (custom build) I had
                  Present rate : 1550 mA
                  now I have
                  Present rate : 1377 mA
                  which is quite compfortable. Of course I have some customisation:
                  Code:
                  [    0.000000] Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-10-generic root=UUID=5752d8a8-3b9b-48ce-be8e-93a7ffd66994 ro i8042.nomux=1 pcie_aspm=force

options i915 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1 i915_enable_rc6=1
                  p.s.
                  Code:
                  # dmidecode -s system-product-name
                  Aspire 4820TG

Comment

Originally posted by mvniekerk View Post

Geezzzzz....

Of course it is distro related. Aside from kernel and power profile settings (which is again a distro decision), the way the user-land behaves (and choices of packages) has a major impact in energy consumptions as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X